1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

In Ear + Wireless Instrument in one unit?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Colonel_Claypoo, May 17, 2009.

1. Colonel_Claypoo

Colonel_Claypoo Steve Harris nut

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    hey guys.

is it possible, with one unit, to go wireless with the bass as well as have a wireless in ear mix or do i need to seperate devices?

thanks a lot

2. Colonel_Claypoo

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    no ideas?

how do the pro's do it?
    there're tons of musicians out there who use wireless in ear monitoring as well as wireless transmitter/receivers instead of instrument cables.

so they use two units i assume?

3. I think the upper end $$$$ units do this... I had one a LONG time ago that sucked.

I use a Rolls PM351 hard wired.

4. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've never seen a unit that had a transmitter and receiver in a single box.

Most units are half-rack, so a receiver and a transmitter can me mounted together in a single rack space.

I'm partial to X2 for wireless instruments and Sennheiser for wireless ears.

5. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Keep the wireless IEM on you belt,
    and the wireless unit for your instrument on the instrument strap.

That's what I see the pros do, I mean its possible to do both in one box, but it'd be a big box.

Johnny Crab likes this.
  6. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    That's dual receiver, which is not uncommon in big bucks models. He needs one transmitter and one receiver.

7. Colonel_Claypoo

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    yeah, that's what i initially wanted. it's not like i insist on it:D
    anyway, on transmitter would be great. so any dual transmitter
    would work and i just need two different receivers?
    mounting the in ear receiver on the belt and the instrument's receiver on the strap is a good idea.

just to be clear: there's a difference between in ear receivers and instrument receivers right?

thanks

8. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Guitar wireless: The pack on the player is the transmitter. The box on the amp or pedal board is the receiver.

IEMS: The pack on the player is the receiver. The box is the transmitter.

Wireless headset: Same as guitar wireless.

9. To add to the last post on the IEM side more than one person can use the same signal if they have the same wirless receiver pack and are listening in on the same channel.

Chris P

10. dbassman59

dbassman59

Dec 19, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    What you need is called a monitor board ... Did you ever wonder how the pro's do it ... with each player having his own mix? It's through a monitor board. Every channel has an input and an output and a level adjustment for every other channel on the board

So you put your bass in Ch1 your vocals into Ch2, etc... mix how you like for your own monitor out and run that to your in-ear ...

Pretty simple! Here's a link so you can see for yourself http://www.rmcaudio.com/allen_heath/wz3-12m.htm

11. Robert Shine

Robert Shine

Jan 12, 2018
    ya know ... That would be great to have only one pack !!!... ... it would have the stereo receiver for the ears and the transmitter for the instrument all in one box... then the monitor engineer would only need to run you a line with the stereo aux for the ears . or use cat 5 ... and just plug in your wirelss as normal on your rig .......man that would be great !! instead of having to fricken packs on me !!!

12. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Works for me.
    Line 6 wireless for bass, Mipro wireless for IEM.

13. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    AZ
    I want a combined transmitter for bass, transmitter for headset mic, and receiver for IEMs. Can anyone do that??? :D

14. Almost 9 years. Nice!

DirtDog and derrico1 like this.
  15. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2016
    I think the issue with having both in 1 unit is you most likely wouldn’t be able to run your bass through your effects chain (unless you had an FX loop) or to your Cabinet.

I run wireless bass and monitor. 2 separate units. Wireless bass goes on my right belt side to my FX board, out to DI to Mixer. Wireless monitor goes left belt side to my ears.