1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In ears for recording monitors.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by spencer, Sep 28, 2009.

1. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    I needed some decent headphones for a lot of things and was only willing to spend 100-150$ I picked up some over ear shure srh440.. This is my first set of semi quality headphones so maybe it's just me but, they sounded very flat (good) but they sound very bland maybe a better word would be dull, or no character, they also lack lows and highs it seems, I feel I could just use iPod headphones and saved 100$..

I used my dads shure in ears a few times and was blown away by the sound. I'm thinking about returning these and getting some m audio ie-10 in ears. I just wouldn't be able to return those if I liked them.

I'm looking for something I can use all around for now, recording (nothing fancy) playing live and listening to tunes.

Should I go for the m audios or is what I'm experiencing with the shures a good thing. They have great reviews and they sound alright just ain't really worth more than 30$ in my opinion

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Playing live, and listening to tunes. IEM are great.
    Recording - well just a single source for listening isn't such a great idea.
    You wouldn't want to mix a recording with a note "Best if listened to with Shure IEM"
    Listen on various headphones and speakers for anything you hand to someone else.
    M audios look good.

Take any review with a grain of salt - they're all subjective. Even yours above about sounding "bland". It may be your signal is bland, and the Shures are coloring the sound.

3. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    For mixing, no. In-ears would be a bad choice. However, for recording, in-ears are often a great choice! In fact, it's become kind of a trend here in Nashville for session players to use their own in-ears. (I suspect this is true in other cities...)

Ultimately, for tracking, it's important to find a monitoring system that is comfortable for you! If you do go w/ in-ears, be aware that the cable attached to them is generally shorter than that of regular headphones. Sometimes, this isn't a problem, but a stereo extension cable will likely benefit you eventually. Also, quality in-ears are generally much more sensitive than traditional 'cans' (headphones). So, watch those initial volume levels so you don't hurt yourself!

As a session player, I actually bring both my own cans (Sony 7506's) and in-ears (Shure E-5's) to sessions. Depending on the environment, I prefer one over the other. Sometimes, on long sessions, the cans get hot & start to feel heavy on my head, so I switch to the in-ears. Alternatively, ear fatigue can set in more quickly with in-ears, so I can switch to the cans! More often than not, though, I prefer the in-ears.

4. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I use my E-5's for all of the above. They're great! Of course, I think they sell for $500 too... :meh: Headphones are a little impractical for playing live. (Although drummers & Skunk Baxter seem to get away with it!) I'd encourage you to seek out decent dual-driver in-ears. You'll spend more money, but good in-ears can increase your enjoyment of playing & listening exponentially!

5. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    I returned the headphones and got some m-audio ie-10 earphones. I'm happy with the trade, I understand there not good for mixing but recordin thell be fine. Just as good quality if not better than the overears.
    I like these so much I might sell them and get a higher end model.