Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In Flames- "Soundtrack to Your Escape" Review

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Melf, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I am so disappointed with this album. The guitar riffs are easy, boring, and repetitive, as are the drum lines. The bass is practically non-existant(although this hasn't really changed, it's never been there for In Flames). The lyrics for every single song are angst-ridden and focus on how life is so unfair, prety much. They could have been written by a 14 year old. Even worse, Anders Friden does a Jonathon Davis-esque whine>>yell>>scream on a few of the songs. There's not a single classic In Flames melody on the entire cd. It's not even melodic metal. At best, it's crappy black metal. I recommend that you don't buy this cd. Listening to it made me sad, as In Flames is hardly even a shadow of their former self. :bawl: :bawl:

I give this cd a 2/10.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    5/10

it's no Jester Race, to be sure. I don't hate it though.

3. Actually I loved the album. It´s more heavy and agressive than reroute and the production is better to. Althou slightly similar to r2r the sound is more edgy that the muddy sound of r2r. The riffs athou pretty simple are very good IMO. The only problem I have is that sometimes the leadguitars and singing get burried in the mix.

The lyrics are some of the best that Friden has made, very personal and painful writing. I must say that it takes balls to put yourself and your feelings out there for everyone to se.

I give this album 8/10 not In Flames best but very friggin good. Could be the album of the yer if not Evergrey and Dark Tranquillitys commin albums are amazing.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I was also dissapointed. I love pretty much every In Flames album (not too hip on Toyko Showdown, but I never did like live albums) and "Sountrack..." was pretty weak. No In Flames melodies (Black & White, Scorn, Pinball Map), no good thrashings (Trigger, Starforsaken, Colony)... I just didn't like it at all.

5. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I also heard the Jonathan Davis impression. Pretty dissapointing.
    The video they put out was pretty big budget, or it looks it.

6. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I basically wrote off In Flames once I bought Colony.

7. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    Ohio
    Well this is what you get when you go completely mainstream... I am heartbroken

8. Peccavi

Peccavi

Dec 24, 2003
    Jonas, pa
    dude nothing beats old inflames but i dod have to say i don't like the new album but i like it more then the last one. still i like the band even though they went all gay.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dunno, I liked about half the tracks from Reroute To Remain, and didn't think Clayman was that bad. Album (for me) kinda topped early with Pinball Map, which I really, really like for some reason.

But, yeah, Escape is just...well...super bland.

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I'm all for bands progressing and generally think fans that accuse bands of "selling out" are luddites.

That said, so far im not that impressed with STYE - I think I prefer RTR!

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've dug the In Flames I've heard, what album would you recommend someone get first... obviously not SOundtrack...

12. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I thought they really had something going with "The Jester Race". It's one of their earlier ones.

13. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Maybe I shouldn't buy this cd. I just found out about it yesterday and was about to go get it. I like a lot of their stuff, and became a fan after I saw them with Slayer a couple years ago. I just couldn't get into Reroute To Remain but this one doesn't sound much better. Too bad.
    Maybe I'll just go buy more of their old cds.

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Seconded. It's an album of genius.

15. Peccavi

Peccavi

Dec 24, 2003
    Jonas, pa
    i am actually going to see them the end of the month with killswitch in philly. i hope they play old **** but the cool thing is it still costs only $15 to get in to there shows. i hate mainstream ****. ozzfest is so much but lamb of god and unearth is playing so i must go.

16. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Anything before Reroute to Remain. Lunar Strain and Jester Race are the oldest and harshest, Whoracle and Colony are my favorites (most melodic), Clayman is just different, and then there's Reroute to Remain and Soundtrack, don't get either of those! As long as you don't get R2R or Soundtrack you ought to be fine.

17. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Yep. In Flames is pretty weak.

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Jeez... I kinda liked R2R. I mean, sure it wasn't old In Flames, but it wasn't that bad.

19. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I agree evil hot chocolate lady.

20. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Really? I liked two songs, Cloud Connected and Minus. Other than that I thought it was a waste.