In front of pre-amp stage or in the effects loop?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rboyce, Mar 28, 2005.

1. rboyce

Oct 12, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hey all.

Probably an obvious question to many of you, but here goes:

I'm trying to cut down on the noise in my setup, so I've been experimenting with moving effects & pedals around in the signal chain. Here are the stomp boxes I'm currently using, and I'm hoping you can tell me the best place to put them in the signal chain:

1. Boss Compressor/Sustainer (yes, it's for a guitar, but it's all I've got for now);
    2. Boss CE-3 Chorus (see above)
    3. Boss Noise Gate
    4. SansAmp GT2 (for both guitar and bass - it does a pretty good impression of an SVT).

Until now, I was running those 4 effects/stomp boxes that exact order BEFORE my signal went into my amp. However, my amp does have an effects loop, and I'm wondering which (or all) of these I can/should move into the effects loop.

I've already tried moving the SansAmp into the effects loop, and that SIGNIFICANTLY cut down on noise in the chain. Should I do the same with the Compressor and the Chorus stomp boxes?

Thanks in advance,

2. I put allmy effects in the effect loop and heven't looked back, yet. And to make my life a little bit easier, I even built an insert unit so that I can run the send/return lines together in an XLR between the pedals and the amp. One cable from bass to amp, and one cable from pedal board to amp. Tidy and less noise.