In General, Stainless or Nickel for Growl?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Jul 12, 2005.

1. thoughts? anyone found there "growliest" string?
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Growl is a vague term IMHO... we all have our own meaning.

Strings are a small piece of the total package but for me it's Stainless... Pro Steels or SIT Rock Brights. I can get nickel flats to growl too though it's the hands and the technique more then the string.
  3. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    You could always try new pickups. ;)
  4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    My 5-string is my growl bass... ProSteels

My 4-string is my funk bass... Nickel...

My AEB is my bluegrass bass... Phosphor Bronze

You might also try mucking with your pre-map settings, as well as adding in some mild Overdrive.
  5. bump. cmon peoples!!!

you's have to know whats the growliest string out there!
    spit it out! :)
  6. Dean Markley Blue Steel.
    DR Hi-beams and Fat-Beams
    Rotosound Swingbass

Stainless steel - they just have more of that upper midrange that enhances growl (imo).
  7. ...go find yourself a nice gal, sir bumpalot.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I have to agree with Carl: steels tend to have more harmonic richness which lends itself to nice meaty growl, whereas nickels seem to be 'cleaner'. There are *always* exceptions, and some might disagree.

I also agree with James: strings are just a small piece of the total package that includes bass, amp, speakers, etc. For most people, the quick way to get growl is to favor a bridge pickup, particularly a J-bass bridge pickup. And maybe use a little overdrive. But there are many many ways to get growl.
  9. The growl I like is growl from strings banging against the frets, and that sound primarily have to do with the strings used. How flexible they are, what material, and especially their midrange and treble. There are other forms of growl coming from pickups or effects or amps, but this form of acoustical growl is what I think of when I hear the word growl. Maybe your could say that growl on a fretted bass is the equivalent of mwah on a fretless bass.

If stainless steel brings out the fret growl the best, how about the frets themselves? What are the most common fret material?