1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"In Loving Memory of..."

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by billjr, Sep 17, 2010.

1. billjr

billjr

Jul 25, 2006
    Darlington, SC
    Over the past few years, I have noticed a trend in my area that has me wondering if it is something local, or if it is getting popular in other areas.

Every day I get behind a vehicle with letters on the back window saying "In Loving Memory of __insert name here__". I've even seen some with two or three different ones on the window. I remember seeing one or two a couple of years ago, but lately, I see this several times a day.

2. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    I've seen a few around here.

This beater car in loving memory of the dearly departed. [​IMG]

3. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    It is really popular in the Hispanic community around here. Seems kinda tacky after a year or so has passed.

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    We had a young policeman get ambushed and killed a few years back. (My band was involved in one of the benefits for his wife and children which may be why I'm hyper aware.) I've seen lots of those stickers on the back windows of cars memorializing him.

They also seem to be popular with the families of fallen soldiers.

5. here in maryland we have had a large amount of deaths do to drunk driving and i notice some of the ages and a lot are teenagers (not saying that most are young kids but there are a lot of underage drunk driving deaths) you dont see as many crosses on the side of road anymore, figured maybe they went the decal route.

6. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I see the same thing here. Every other day I get behind someone who has one of those "In Loving memory.." decals on their back window. I'm really not sure why all of the sudden that sort of thing seems to be everywhere. I don't think that it has anything to do with any specific one person per se, but rather just a little personal tribute to a lost family member etc etc

7. I hope I'm never memorialized on a car or truck window. Or on the side of a road, should I meet my end in such a place. I'd rather just be remembered in the hearts and minds of friends and loved ones.

But... people do grieve in different ways and I respect that.

8. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    my worst fear would be for me to die before my brother... he's one of those NJ sort of pseudo rednecks... I could see my little "In Loving Memory of Relic.." tributes on the back of his pick up truck window right next to the "Dale Earnhardt #3 sticker.."

9. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's actually been reported in the news as a growing trend in certain communities. Especially among blacks and Latinos in urban neighborhoods that see a lot of shooting, there are so many dead every week that memorializing them has become a big part of the daily culture.

There was a 60 Minutes report a couple years ago about one city where there are T-shirt stands that custom-print memorial T-shirts, and that's all they do, and business is booming. They have long lines of customers for these shirts. It's gotten so busy that instead of just waiting for someone to come in with a picture of a fallen friend/family member wanting a custom design, now the T-shirt guys listen to the police scanners and they have scouts hanging out around the major emergency rooms and news desks. So they hear who died from a gunshot wound within minutes or hours of it happening, and they print the shirts up right away, ready to sell when the bereaved come around. Apparently this has been very successful for them!

So yeah, car decals and paint are also popular, but they cost more than a T-shirt, and it's harder to change them out weekly for each new dead homie, son, daughter, etc.....

10. billjr

billjr

Jul 25, 2006
    Darlington, SC
    WOW! Ambulance chasing T-shirt vendors. Who would have thunk it?

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Around here, its usually in loving memory of people who have been killed in gang violence or the crossfire.

12. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Yeah,...it's caught on here too. I usually see it on primer grey Monte Carlos or Tahoes.

13. Slight sidebar - I posted in this thread and no one jumped in my case or gave me any sheeeee-ite. That's a first for today. Thanks guys!

Back to the topic...

14. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    With my luck, some of my friends would probably memorialize me in this new way, on the back of a rusted out 59 Rambler station wagon.;)

15. Seen it here in Houston for over 10 years now.

16. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    That's old school in SoCal...you also see a lot of "In Loving Memory" tattoos around here.

17. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    +1. Same here.

18. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Of course, who could forget...

bad-tattoo-pic1.jpg

-robert

19. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    You were doing great until you posted this thinly veiled remark designed for us to look at your post and comment on it. No it will be promptly ignored. Good job champ.

:p

Just kidding!!
    Stay in school!! <- designed to piss off Phalex

20. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI

I think we both love water-sports a little too much for this to be possible compadre.....

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021