Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In Memorial: Post your Reverends

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Smallequestrian, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    I know there have been many threads on their demise, but I feel Reverend basses deserves there own thread to honor the uniqueness that they brought into the world of bass.

So I propose that everybody with Reverends should post pics and a small story of how they came to acquire said bass. I will start first.

For my first upgrade over my beginner bass i decided I would take advantage of guitar center blowing out the spector Q4. After two weeks I decided that while it sounded better than my ibanez, it handled like a truck so I went back to GC to see if they had anything else. That week someguy had come in and traded in like 10 unique to GC type basses. Among the basses, where a fretless Stingray, an old epiphone rivioli, a old 5 string les Paul, Ash MIA Jazz and a few others.

The one that caught my eye was the white with gold pickguard Rumblefish. Picked it up and knew within the first 30 seconds that this was the best neck I had ever felt with its rounded edges and jazz like dimensions. Plugged it in and knew immediately that it was the bass for me. All told it took about 5 minutes for me to decided to take to take it home, even though it was going to cost me more than I had wanted to spend. It took way longer to get the return processed than it did to make my mind up. Been in love ever since and wish I could have grabbed another one.

Cheers

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    mine is not so eye catcher than yours (best reverend combo i have ever seen) but it ROCKS.

unfortunately i do not have pics but it has rosewood fingerboard, aged yellow body and black pickguard.

GREAT BASS

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I got my Rumblefish no more than a month ago. It has become my favorite bass. I am kicking myself for not being able to order one more. The neck is a dream, and the looks are fantastic. Does anyone know how to read the serial numbers?

4. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Thread name should be changed to "Post your Reverends to incite major G.A.S. in people just after they are discontinued" :p

Reverends are sexy.

5. I'm really unhappy that Joe had to stop making basses. I came so close to picking up the phone yesterday and ordering a P/J, but I knew I would do so under pain of death from the boss. :(
    I've owned four Reverends, two of which I no longer have (a bugeye 4-string that got liquidated for a house payment, and a beautiful green 5-string that I bought just to have one of the early fivers.) I got my first Reverend in late 1998, after being intrigued by their ad where Brad Houser said it was the best 4-string he'd ever owned. I had to drive two hours just to try one, but I knew immediately it was killer. Blue with a white pickguard. I got my other one three months ago, by way of the classifieds right here on Talkbass, although I actually bought it on eBay. I had to have it because of the color combo.. white with a tort guard. Absolutely stunning. The blue one is the 47th bass they made, and the white one is #62, so they both have those screamin' Kent Armstrong pickups that Joe used on the first batch. They are the best playing and sounding basses I have ever owned, with the most vibe. I just love them. I'm gonna take a side-by-side pic soon and I'll add it here.

6. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

[​IMG]

As you can tell, I'm into the PJ thing. I've had a JJ (black) and an XL (bugeye) and while the XL worked for me in series mode the JJ just didn't do it for me (but then JJ basses in general just don't float my boat). I'm sad that they aren't going to be making basses any more 'cause I'd hoped to someday be able to get a smoked chrome w/flames PJ but that's life. I'd really hoped they would see their way to making a "Brad Houser 4".

I had been thinking about offing the black one and getting another G&L (the Fish are lacking just a bit on "ultimate comfort" for me while G&Ls feel "made for me") but now I'm thinking I'd rather just add a G&L to my small collection and keep both Fish. After all, they aren't making them any more and they are my favorite sounding basses I've had.

7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I really really wanted one, but I ended up finding a great deal on a used Modulus so I got that instead with the intention of picking up a Rev after I'd saved up some more. Joe made the announcement shortly after the Modulus arrived and I've been kicking myself ever since. I really dug the look of the brushed aluminum stuff (especially the dragonfly green for some reason), although that black-on-black PJ is very cool.

8. yes, i would've liked to get my hands on a lake superior blue rumblefish, too. the dragonfly green was quite lovely, as well. i'm also a fan of the morrocan gold. maple fingerboard on all of them; no preference between JJ and PJ (i've played and loved the JJ before, but never the PJ).

i wish.

robb.

9. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Sorry I don't have pics. My Rumblefish was purchased in 1999. it's a J/J #808; black, silver pickguard, white pickups, maple board. A really fine looking 'Fish! I don't know what the serial number means- is it Reverend #808 or Rumblefish #808? Anyway, it has an incredible punchy tone and a fine, easy playing neck. I ordered it solely on comments/reputation, as there were no dealers in close proximity at the time. Reverend, as you know, has tried both direct and dealer retail sales. It is a major shame that an instrument so well crafted with such a fantastic sound could not sell in bigger numbers. Yes, the looks are subjective but cosmetics on all basses are. Kudos to those of you savvy enough to get one (or more!) and let's hope that one day our beloved "Fish (and Houser) will return for another go. The odds of me selling mine are as follows: slim and none. So, followers, let's get ready to rrrrrrruuuuuuuuuummmmble! :crying:

10. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i never got to own one, but still have hopes of one day having the cash to get one...

this one on ebay right now looks nice.

[​IMG]

i didnt realize they were going to stop making basses, but i would only have bought used so it really doesnt effect me much. this struck major G.A.S.

11. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    D'you think the price of used Rumblefish will go up?

12. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3751482146

There's a Houser that ends Monday. If it weren't that crazy mahogany veneer I'd be all over it.

The Revs generally hold their value pretty well on ebay. You've almost always been better off getting one new (because then at least you can send it back if you don't really dig it).

13. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    that orange PJ is wonderful.

14. No doubt. In 9 days and 6 hours, I may be looking for a couch to sleep on. :D

15. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    President: MusicDojo.com
  16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Shame, since I always wanted to try a Brad Houser. I heard (and saw in pics here on TB) that those things were wiiiide necked. And I loves me some wide necked 5s.

Such a pitty.

17. I do not have a photo, but I have a "blackwood" colored Rumblefish XL. Its a fantastic bass in many ways, but as others have said, I will say again: the neck is absolutely amazing. Generally I prefer a slightly wider P bass neck, but I make an exception when it comes to the Reverend.

I know I will eventually pick up another Reverend bass (used I guess) one day. I really wanted to order a PJ before they stopped, but just didnt have the funds.

Craigb - your black/black PJ is gorgeous. If you ever THINK of selling it, let me know!!!

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

[​IMG] Excellent thread!

It hurts me that I don't own a Brad Houser 5. :(

19. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.