1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"In Memoriam" sub forum

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Bob Clayton, Mar 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Anti-tort heathen Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I don't mean to suggest this as a sub forum for celebrities/public figures, but for the hopefully seldom occurrence that a TBer passes away.

Pinning threads at the top of forums seems kind of tacky (imho), and this would kinda be a nice way to keep threads around without taking up a spot on the front page of a forum. Maybe a sub forum part the TB Lounge where everyone would having viewing rights, not limiting someone to the BG or DB side.

I'd suggest limiting it to where only staff members could post new threads to it, or threads from non staff members would have to get approved.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  2. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Seems like a good idea to me. I'll get on this shortly.

3. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Paul the passing of Mike Money and subsequent thread (in BGOT) reminded me of this. Didn't know if you still thought it was a good idea. Even though he ended up banned, a lot of people like him. I'd vote to put him there.

S-Bigbottom and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  4. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
  5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I think this is a good idea. It's a testament to Paul's vision and the site's longevity that the idea even needed to come up. We get attached to these peripheral voices in our lives, and it would be nice to have a special place to commemorate them.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  6. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Bob I'm sorry this hadn't gotten done before today. In Memoriam forum is created, and I've started moving some threads there. Only TB members as you suggested, not public figures/celebs.

7. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    No problem Paul, looks good! Shouldn’t be too many problems in there at all, but if you wanna add it to my roster of forums to watch, I’m fine with that since its creation was my idea.

8. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Another suggestion for this forum @paul.

For members that have passed away, what do you think about adding an "In Memoriam" banner under the username, where the supporting member banners go? Black background with white/light gray text?

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I had no idea this sub-forum was a thing. I was thinking of suggesting it last week after stumbling upon an old deceased member's posts. Since I did not want to detract from today's memorial, I intend to add the following members in the near future.

@Les Ismoor
    @stingray96191

I like the idea of a banner.

Stumbo likes this.
  10. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    That’s a great idea. I’ll get it done, and hopefully will be able to link the banner to the forum.

11. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    "In Memoriam" usergroup banner (pink) added, so we can start setting these for members who have passed.

Unfortunately it is near impossible in xenforo to add a clickable link to the usergroup banner. Therefore I think the best thing to do would be for an admin to add a link to the in memoriam thread in the user's signature.

@Moderators Actually this may pertain more to Admins, but here's the procedure for marking a member who has passed.

- Add user to secondary usergroup "In Memoriam"
    - Add a link to user's In Memoriam thread, in their signature

Screenshot at Aug 24 09-55-37.

12. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Great idea.

13. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Mods can't add usergroups to users, so that's an Admin thing. Mods (or at least Supermods) can edit sigs though, so I can do that when I see threads pop up.

Also @paul the usergroup banner on the DARK theme doesn't show up as pink. There's no banner at all actually. See below:

Untitled.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  14. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Thank you Bob, fixed :)

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.