In Memory of Kurt Cobain

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Apr 5, 2003.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Kurt Cobain died today April 5, 1994. He was a man whose brilliant song writing, simple yet wonderful guitar riffs, and distorted yet heartful vocals changed music forever. Nirvana, a band so revolutionary and awsome creates even more millions of fans today. Fans like me will always remember Kurt as a man who created our alternative world, and the music will be with us forever. (Very Sappy)
  2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    kurt was a relentless artist who was in the right place at the right time for sucsess, who probally would have done better as a person to be left in the shadows.

Not meaning to antagonize but Niel Young said "its better to burn out than to fade away". In fact he put it in a song that Kurt was quoting.

Kurt was great moment in pop music.

I think its great and is the measure of his influlence that people hold the thought of him so high.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    his music wasn't really my favorite, but i think it was a real shame that he was in so much pain that he felt the need to take his own life. i also wonder about courtney love's involvement in the whole thing.
  4. You know, i think they were great and all but Nirvana gets way more praise then they deserve(IMO of course). Andy why? Because Kurt Cobain killed himself. I find it amazing that death is the best thing one can do for his career.

PS- I dont mean to make anyone mad, I think Kurt was great and deserves most of the recognition he gets, I just think "changed music forever" is a bit much. As aways, this is JMO.
  5. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    The ironic part is that he would say so too.
  6. I don't care what he CHANGED. Because frankly, most of the people who are "inlfuenced" by him are just trying to recreate what he did to make some money. I care about what he DID, in his own time.
    Kurt did what he wanted, and put himself entirely into it. He is what i consider a true musician and artist. He lived for what he did, and as far as I'm concerned, no one could have done it better.
    his death was a great loss for this world.
  7. dont know what to say. i dont think he killed him self. there was a good book written about it. sorry ........

his music helps people deal with what ever they need to deal with. just as pink floyd did in there time and so otheres many have done
  8. I havent read the book but i never thought that courtney love killing him was all that farfetchd. She does seem pretty nutty, after all.
  9. the person she hired to find him. is the person who rights the book. she kept paying him to find more info like she thought some one killed him. but every time he got info she would put him on another job about some thing else. ill party when shes dead.
  10. Nato

Jun 2, 2002
    It is very tragic that he is dead considering he has contributed so much to the music world. He was certanly not the best guitarist by any means but he put everything he had into all his songs and that's what makes him great in my book. Rest in peace Kurt.
  11. i definitely believe that courtney drove kurt to kill himself...and heroin addiction obviously didn't help. but i'm not sure about her actually doing it, or having someone do it (el "the kurt and courtney story" movie). i mean, there's speculation about how he shot up in both arms, neatly rolled down his sleeves, put his needle away in his box, and then operated a shotgun on himself. they say there's no way he could've done all that with that much heroin in his body.
    but then there're also arguments about how he was locked in the room abve his garage, and no one could've gotten in and out, courtney wasn't around, blah blah blah.
    and then there're the arguments about the suicide note, which was apparently altered by someone (different handwriting, etc., it sounded like a note about leaving nirvana; suicide wasn't mentioned until those last three additional lines...)
    i don't think we'll ever know. and that's really sad.
    i'm going to go listen to incesticide.
  12. Most talented artist of the 90s.

13. Ditto.
  14. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I totally disagree with this thread - fair enough to the respect the dead point, but repsect him as an earthmoving artist is plain stupid.

Seriously, go grab a nirvana cd and play it, then come back and rethink your posts. Try to describe your feelings without using thwe words 'ditortion, mush, draining, unorganised, boring and tedious'.

He was nothing special in my opinion.
  15. Im with Ryan.

Nirvana got some tunes I like, but in my opinion, they do get so much fning praise.

and for god sake. im so sick of seeing 1000s of young hosers running around thinking they are cool, ALL wearing that annoying yellow face!ARGH
  16. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
  17. Same day Layne Staley of Alice in Chains died 8 years later. :(
  18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    uh. yeah.
  19. i must've missed that. They must've done somethign right, for so many people do & did like them, but I wouldnt say they were Lord Only. :D

(cleans his lips)

20. I think the best way to honor Kurt Cobain is to go out to your local music store and find an album by an obscure or unknown band or artist and buy it. I don't think Kurt wanted anything more than to be an underground artist like his heroes the Melvins, the Germs etc.

I think the best way to honor him is not talk about how great HE was, but to listen to some of his contemporaries and influences that didn't get the break Nirvana got. Nirvana didn't define a scene or a style of music, they were just a sampling of it and they got lucky. I think that by paying homage to Kurt you must also pay homage to all those that helped create Nirvana, the music and the scene that Nirvana was a part of, because Kurt was just a small fish in a huge pond.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.