in memory of Paul Jackson (RIP) - Actual Proof (Herbie Hancock & the Headhunters)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by raal, May 3, 2021.

1. raal

raal Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Minneapolis / St Paul
    There's like 7 or 8 choruses with vamp parts interjected in the original and every time he plays something different, just blows my mind. I learned only one chorus bass parts out of transcription and listening but here it is. Comments and suggestions welcome.

kobass, Joshua, ritz and 2 others like this.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Good job!

raal likes this.
  3. raal

raal Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Minneapolis / St Paul
    Thank you . This is just scratching the surface.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    There was a recent Zoom meeting/webinar sponsored by the Berklee College of Music bass department, featuring tributes from many of the musicians who either worked with Paul Jackson, or were influenced by him (which basically means, everybody!)

One thing Herbie Hancock mentioned in this meeting was that not only was Paul gifted in his ability to infuse a singular groove with endless variation, but that every time he played a tune he was able to spontaneously come up with an entirely different singular groove.

Herbie specifically called out one of the tunes from Thrust -- I think it was either "Actual Proof" or "Spank-A-Lee" -- and said they were rehearsing it in the studio to nail down some specifics of the feel, and just when they all agreed they'd got it nailed they told Fred Catero to start recording, and Paul Jackson immediately began playing a totally new groove! Something just as compelling and groovalicious and ever-changing as the one they'd just nailed down, but with a completely different feel. Herbie had to stop the take and convince Paul to play something vaguely like what they had just spent the prior hour rehearsing! Hysterical.

5. raal

raal Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Minneapolis / St Paul
    Thanks for relaying this. I think i read the berklee cast was unfortunately not recorded.

That anecdote totally captures my view of this tune. Each they run through the 15 bar form is different, while retaining fantastic drum and bass interplay.

Anecdotally, having entered the drum patterns in vst, can say that Mike Clark is also on another planet.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  6. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Great! :bassist:

7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    RIP Mr Jackson.

Whenever my musical inspiration is low, I fire up that Headhunters live video on YouTube and am just blown away every time. Herbie is great and all, but I’m there for Paul!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021