1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In Memory of Phillip K. Dick

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by StyleOverShow, Mar 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    image. He died in 1982 on March 2.

Loved his writing, expanded my mind and horizons as he predicted corporate plutarchys and the use of reality altering drugs.

Blade Runner, Scanner Darkly and Man in the High Castle are some of the most popular adaptations of his work although the list is much longer.

Gone but not forgotten

Philip K. Dick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. I agree. He was a great writer and I've read everything I can find from him. "Blade Runner" was based on the short story, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep."

Great names for a band from that title.

StyleOverShow likes this.
  3. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    My favourite writer.
    I could read "A Scanner Darkly" over and over for ever and never tire of it. Due for my 5 year rereading of it soon.
    Cheers Phil, changed my life.

4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    "do androids dream of electric sheep" is one of my faves. he was, indeed, a great writer.

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

There used to be a local band that used "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep." Mind you, I'm sure that was the case in many cities. I actually haven't read it but it is on my list, I loved Blade Runner (the Director's Cut obviously, not that crappy theatrical ending.)

6. Murdoc_420

Murdoc_420

Jan 20, 2016
    Colorado
    Haven't read any of his books but Scanner Darkly is definitely one of my top 5 favorite movies. Story, art, actors...

7. That's the sign of a good book - it holds up to re-reads.

8. I've always thought Paycheck, The Adjustment Bureau, and Imposter were way underrated movies based on his books. The original Total Recall was good campy fun, the remake was terrible.

Vince Klortho and StyleOverShow like this.