Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In my opinion...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Feb 4, 2006.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    [rant]

People take other people's opinions way too seriously!

Seriously, I think there's something wrong when someone says "flea sucks" or "ampeg sucks" (Tim ;) ) and then gets flamed endlessly. Ok, is it not obvious when you say something sucks that it is your opinion? I mean, If it was a fact that ampeg sucked then why would it be such a major player in the amplification scene? Why would many professionals, such as Claypool and Trujilo use it? WHY?! Because it's an opinion is why. That's what makes life, and music especially, so great, is that it's all so different. Or are we really just heading back to the ethnocentric mindsets of our european ancestors (North Americans only)? Are we so accustomed to the mindset of complete and utter tolerance that anything that appears to deviate from this mindset (while in reality merely applying to the one that posts it) is unacceptable, and must recieve endless flamage?

I think there should be a 2 signature system, one that is alterable, and one that immediately applies to everyone and is unchangeable, saying something along the lines of 'Everything I have just stated, unless cited as a fact with a reliable source, is my opinion and is not to be taken seriously.' Seems like people just get too much in a huff over things that are obviously someone else's opinion. And if someone actually believes that their opinion is fact, law and the be-all-and-end-all of human thought, then they're a stupid troll who should not be fed (In my opinion :rolleyes: ).

If I were to say that Jaco sucks (which I wouldn't) I would recieve endless flamage, whereas were I to insert an "IMO" into that then no one would have a quarrel. But is it not obvious that I say Jaco sucks not because he is not a very good player, but because I don't like his playing? Is that "IMO" really neccessary? Consider also that if I were to say that Jaco is good, many, if not all would agree with me, when it once again comes down to opinion? There is no doubt that he is an accomplished player, but "good" is subjective, and as such it's obviously going to mean different things to different people. Is that not obvious?

Am I alone on this, is that IMO really neccessary? Maybe I just hate all this red tape...

[/rant]

I must be losing my mind...

2. WHAT? HOW DARE YOU MAKE SHARE SUCH A STRONG OPINION WITH US!! I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DUEL!!!!
    :p

Sorry, I had to. I know exactly what you mean though, and it really is annoying.

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

We al have opinions, and that's the way it is. Some will find it shocking, but I find the Chili Peppers to be rather bland, in spite of some decent musicianship. I also think Green Day are whiny, navel gazing, and rife with phony angst. But I realize that others enjoy them, and they are decent musicians as well.

We're hard wired with these opinions. Flea would probably be great in any band he was in. Green Day simply need to laugh at themselves, and get over all of the heavy trips. They are selling records, life ain't that bad.

But in NO WAY can I find anything critical about Jaco's musicianship. He was just terrific, and took the bass guitar to amazing levels never heard before. The thing about him that sucks is the tragedy that his life became, and that he didn't seek/get help.

Other than all that, it's all good.

4. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    ok, jaco wasn't the best example. but my point stands! a better one would've been a debate between a couple albums, one person saying album A sucks while the other says album B sucks. these obviously aren't hard facts!

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I do not think it is necessary.

In my experience, the people who get the most worked up are young folks and those new to the internet. Once you get some time behind the keyboard, a person will start to get it.

That's how it worked for me at least. When I first started posting on message boards, I would take offense to the slightest thing I did not agree with. I still do a little bit, but I am much better about it now.

-Mikk

6. Well, I've come to the conclusion that opinions are not facts. It's frivilous to try and change them by arguing.