In my quest for the holy grail of jazz bass copies...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dryheatbob, Jun 14, 2003.

1. ... I've stumbled on a few nice playing ones that seem to get a bad rap here at TB. I figure, what the heck I'll ask your humble opinions of 'em.;)

Keep in mind two things, please:

1) the bass line(pun intended) ax I'm considering is a used MIM Fender jazz. Do to my wifes' insistance that I(we) put my kids through college, $300 is my max. This time around.:D

2) I've memorized the Essex mega thread. I know they're great players for the price, but I just can't bring myself to buy a bass online if I can't play a similar one before buying. We all have our personal demons; that and a fear of heights are mine.

3) Resale value doesn't mean much to me. I figure I'm buying it to play it, and that's where the value of a bass lies with me.

So anyway, I'm in a shop this morning and I noodle around on 3 basses: Fender jazz MIM, Yamaha BN404(might be wrong on the #, but it's got ta jazz configuration) and finally a Samick Greg Bennett FN4.

The MIM played like a, well a
    MIM. Action on this particular one was a bit high/tough to play but definitely that jazz sound. Nice fit/finish nothing noticeably wrong.
    Nice as expected.

Yamaha next. 24 frets, jazz pups. again nice looking, nothing apparently wrong. For the life of me, I couldn't get it to sound like the MIM and the pups seem to pick up alot of string noise. neck was easier to work with than the MIM, tho.

Next the Samick. Wow! what a nice looking bass! Fit/finish seemed nicer than the other two and it was by far the easiest to play. Didn't quite sound like the MIM, but close alot closer than the Yamaha. And that skinny neck made playing out at the 1st frets way too easy!

So in a roundabout way, what gives with the bad opinions of Samicks? Is it really deserved?

I know: If ya like it, buy it. But I'm pretty new to playing and I'm wondering what I'm missing that makes Samicks deserve their bad rep.

2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    the funny thing is alot of people are playing samicks and not even realizing it. samick is like cort in the fact that they build for a buttload of people. what they are probably missing is quality control.

if it works for you and it spoke to you and you play it without fighting it.... go for it... 200 dollar samick or 10000 alembic.:D

but btw...i'd go essex
  3. but btw...i'd go essex [/B][/QUOTE]

Lol, Jon!

I made a mental bet with m'self as to when someone would mention going with Essex.

I lost!:D

Figured it'd be 4-5 replies before I got that advice!

So has anyone played/owned a samick and felt it was a decent bass?
  4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    until i got my real 'ray i had a samick copy. painfully descent bass. wasnt great by any means but it was very good for what i paid.(sub 200)

essex is still better for less cash
  5. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I don't have much experience with Samick basses, but I did buy one for my daughter a few months ago. It's the sakb6690 model. It has an open headstock, alder body, maple/rosewood neck,2 soapbar pickups and alder body with trans. teal finish on it. I got it used for just under $200. For the money it's a great bass. The only flaws I have found are a couple of minor finish flaws and the preamp is wired wrong somewhere so it drains batteries pretty quick. :mad: The fretwork is better than my MIM P-Bass special and the bass is just fun to play. It's not an F Bass by any means, but I don't feel like I got ripped off at all. I have played a couple of really low end Samicks that felt like crap, so I guess it just depends on which model it is. Hope this helps.