In need for some impressive stuff.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Squice, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Ok, here is the deal. I´m in a new band wich was kinda put togather for a new tv-show, and we are playing 2 sets every weekend, And every gig when we start playing some guy is talking about the band and introducing the members.. and when it comes to me i´m supposed to throw out some impressive solo.. So i´m in need of some really impressive solo that will just make people dropdown and worship me.. hehe :)
    at least some impressive solo, so if some of you guys could point out some solo that i should check out.

My best regards..
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Just bust out "Self Defense" by Gary Willis
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Yes, your plan is excellent. Good luck.
  4. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

You can do what good ol' flea does, wear nothing but a sock, the bigger the sock the better, that'll be impressive :ninja:
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    They want a bass solo on a TV show?
    That must be a worldwide first.

Oh well, check out Dominique Di Piazza's Marie, it's on John McLaughlin Trio's Que Alegria album.
    Lucas Pickford did a transcription.
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Sounds like you only have a couple play chromatic fantasy double time! :D :D
  7. I tried the naked stuff, (nothing but socks) at our first gig.. that defently got me so attendion. :) , but the crowd was just old folks, so they really didn´t have humor for it.. can u believe that.. : )
    This is just matter of seconds.. this isn´t like some tv setup show.. just live gigs. and the show is really just following the band around all the time.
  8. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    play random notes from a pentanonic scale rooted in whatever root note you happen to be on and make it all off beat and syncopated with the drummer. Then do a nice little walk at the end back into the main riff. It'll be tight.
  9. Automatic_Man

Apr 3, 2003
    okay, if you could play either "maxwell murder," "axiom," or "another night" by Rancid, you would be just a step below God in my book (oh, God is another word for Matt Freeman... at least to me)
  10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Look really mysterious and introverted and just play one loooong note...

11. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Why not compose your own original solo?
  12. ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    anesthia-pulling teeth by metallica is a great solo
  13. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    I know, why don't you play someone elses written solo!

What a studpid idea, come on guys that is so weak, no offense intended but it is. If I saw a bassist on TV replicating a solo I'd be horrified!

As for busting out some chops, blimey, where do I start? How about this "get a life"!!

You need a simple one or bar phrase that is melodic and kinda groovey, something that has a little turnaround all of it's own - something that resolves itself before they move on to the next musician.
    And try to make it kinda quirky, rather than all serious and 'beautiful' - the entire notion of introducing the band members is kitch and pretty much tongue in cheek these days, so make it something slighhtly amusing, rather than deadly serious.

If you cant come up with something yourself than a) you shouldn't be on TV, give me the gig ;) and b) play a single bar of another one bites the dust! - It's kinda funny, EVERYONE will recognise it and it says "I'm a bass player".. and before anyoen says it, playing a hook like that is an entire world apart from pinching someone elses solo!

Oh yeah, good luck and have fun!!!! :)
  14. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Dude, the old Cliff Burton bass solo is so played out. besides, it probably wouldn't sound right with whatever their playing at the time.
  15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Here's an idea... Compose your own instead of copying someone else.
  16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter, sir.
  17. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Ha, LOL, I asked for that :D
  18. Howard K.. I could have seen that coming.. !!

I was asking about ipressive solos that i could pickup.. So if you have some problem with that, then u just better not answer that question. Becouse i really don´t give a rats ass if you like it or not that i´m trying to copy someones elses solo... But if its really bothering you.. that the deal is.. i mostly do my own thing and really do not like copying some ones elses solos. But The gigg was the nigt after i posted this.. so i just had very limited time to work something out. so i was really just trying to save my ass for that one gig. after that i was going to put some time into my own....
  19. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Public forum me old china. You asked the question. I gave you my opinion from a listeners point of view. You want to play 'impressive solos' then put down the bass and pick up the guitar ;) (that's a joke, btw) :)

They why ask for opinions? If all you wanted to hear was "it's OK, to play someone else's solo, I'd love to hear that", then I'm sorry for not conforming to your expectations.

In my opinion (that's the key here), playing someone elses solo in place of your own, short lead-time to write the piece or not, is weak. If it were me I'd have improvised something stupidly simple rather than 'covered' someone elses. Just an opinion :)

It's not bothering me at all. I offered my opinion and I stand by it. If I see your band sometime and you play someone elses solo, I wont dig it, it doesnt matter in the slightest to me, you're the guy up on stage, you make your own decisions and you take the audience reaction and feedback, right?

So how did the gig go? What did you do for the solo? Did it go down well?
  20. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Well Squice,

I'll try to rephrase what Howard said, sans the baseball bat diplomacy ;) (just teasin' ya Howie :cool: )...

If you had sat down with your bass, I'll bet you could have come up with something original in the time it took you to boot up your computer and make this post. If you couldn't have, than may I respectfully suggest that you find yourself a teacher.

I don't know what level player you are, but if you've got a gig at all , than you must at least have the facility to lay down a groove. If you can do that, then you're certainly capable of improvising a short (coupla seconds?) passage on demand.

Improvising is all about confidence, and confidence is bourne from experience and knowledge. It's amazing to me how many players are actually afraid of putting in the hard work that's required to become a musician , not just a bass player.

Playing the bass all by yourself is a scary proposition, let alone in front of a camera, so the fear is certainly justified. No matter how skilled you are naturally, as many bassists are, you need a teacher to help you attain the tools that are necessary for your development into the best player you can possibly be. If that's not your wish...well that's cool too.

All that having been said, and now a little late for your TV debut, I'll make a practical suggestion. When in doubt, base a solo "riff" on the blues scale (if you don't know what that is, see above re:teacher). Since it's not possible for me to post notation, I'll write out the sequence of note names and where rests appear. The first two notes are eight notes, followed by a 16th rest and then all 16th notes, the last G is on the one of bar two, in 4/4 time (count it out super slow to begin with). I don't know if you have a 5 or a 4 string, but let's start out on G, third fret on the E string.

G G (rest) G Bb G (rest) G Bb G C G F F# G