In Need of a Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eVersi0n, Feb 6, 2003.

1. eVersi0n

Dec 30, 2002
    Canada, Alberta
    I'm looking for a amp (perferably a Combo) I'm spending about $800 canadian, Any suggestions on what i should go for, I have no idea when it comes to bass amps, I'm a Guitarists switching to bass, I play mostly metal, i will be doing small gigs (Halls, Schools, House Parties, etc 50-100 people) I'd buy used also, what are some amps i should look into, and estamite of a price. Thanks

Also Whats the major differences between 10's, 12's, and 15's? Would 10's have a faster response, 15's slower but push more air? thanks.
  2. eVersi0n

Dec 30, 2002
    Canada, Alberta
    Any Suggestiosn?
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

One combo to consider is an Eden Nemesis.

Their NC112 P got Top Tone, Best Buy, and Best Built Awards in a "Bass Player" magazine "Combo Shootout." Plus, it has the magical Eden "Enhance" control.

The Nemesis amps I've tried out were very loud for their size while not sounding raggedy at all.

You can check it out here

I'm going to basically steer clear of your question about speaker size because the cabinet design makes so much more difference in bass cabs than guitar cabs. After all, guitarists are the ones who are scrambling to get the old Fender Bassmans these days.....excellent quality, large speakers, but outdated cab design as far as working bassists are concerned.

But if metal is your music, I'd go for 10"s or 12"s because you're not so concerned with the fat, warmth, and bottom that 15"s are known for. I'd think you need more perceived loudness and "bite."

BTW - Welcome to the brotherhood responsible for pulling the band together!!!
  4. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

You're playing metal - what kind/size of amps are your guitar players using? How loud do you expect to get.

I'm selling a used Genz Benz combo (1x12+tweeter, 200 watts) in the FS forum. I've done ballrooms with it with a modern rock/pop band where everyone else went through the PA. One guitarist has an outrageous Marshall stack with 4x12 that he can never turn up (if he's using it instead of his POD) because it's just too loud. It also tilts back and I used it as a stage monitor at a bar gig last week (we all went through the PA for FOH sound). It might not be enough on it's own if both guitarists turned their half stacks to 11 (I don't know - I'd have to kill them if they did). I know it gets far louder than I want to be in front of.

If you are set on a combo I'd look for at least 200 watts or more and your choice of a 12, 15 or 2x10. If possible you'd want to be able to plug in an extension speaker (my first combo couldn't do that so it was more limited). I love having the tiltback capability because that makes it easy to use as a monitor when relying on the PA for FOH.

That said I'm moving to separates for more flexibility. I'm going with Avatar 1x12 & 1x15 speakers (I like the smaller size pieces). I lose my tiltback ability (but I'll make a little tiltback wedge stand) built-in but can take whatever pieces I need. I don't know about used prices in CA so I don't know if you could find a GK400RB head and some kind of 4x10 (or 1x15) for your $800.

I have some Yorkville PA monitors that are pretty good for the price. I've read good things about Yorkville bass gear and it's made in CA so it might be priced right (or easily available used for you).
  5. doctorfinger

Jan 31, 2003
    the nemisis is an excellent amp. very versatile. would work for lots of different kinds of music.
  6. eVersi0n

Dec 30, 2002
    Canada, Alberta
    I'll probably go about 1000$ cdn, Any thing i should look into? Should i go for a combo, or should i look around for a head and cab? I might even go 1200$, depends on what i can find. What about this Kurger(sp) stuff, i played on a cab when i bought my BTB405 yesterday, it was nice but also about 2200cdn for the head + cab, do they have anyhting else i should look into?
  7. eVersi0n

Dec 30, 2002
    Canada, Alberta
    Since its my First amp, i'm thinkin i want a 2x10 or 2x12 combo, suggestions?
  8. I highly reccomend the Ampeg BA210.
    It is about 200 watts and is a 2x10. This should be sufficient even without plugging into the PA or micing the combo. I have the BA115 which is 100watts in a 1x15, and it rocks. You will not be disappointed by the sound. Either are available at less than 800 cdn.

If you are DI or micing then the 115 is good. I love the deep bottom end you get from a 115, and I think it pushes more air than a 2x10.

I also have a major rig with a 1x15 and a 4x10. To me, the 1x15 is more exciting to listen to for the deeper sound.

Good luck.
  9. eVersi0n

Dec 30, 2002
    Canada, Alberta
    For the Ampeg BA210, your talkin less then 800cdn used or new?
  10. If you go used, you could easily get a pretty solid halfstack for $1200 Cdn.

I'm assuming your guitarist(s) will be beyond loud playing metal so I would recommend going with more speakers and wattage than most combos offer. You have to remember that bass frequencies require a lot more wattage to amplify than those of a guitar. My 4x10 is overpowered by my guitarist's 2x12 even though I have more than twice the power.

If you go with a combo, I'd suggest Yorkville in Canada. They are pretty loud and very affordable.