Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In need of a challenge? A Masters Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Heli Bass, Oct 22, 2005.

1. While on my mid tour leave from Afghanistan, my wife and I went to Venice for a day. During our meanderings through St Marks (San Marcos) Square, we went to the Basilica and paid to tour the Museum. Upstairs was the Double bass played by Dominico Carlo Dragonetti. Only 3 strings! I couldn't resist the opportunity to take a couple pictures. No Flash so they have been lightened and had the contrast adjusted a bit in Photo shop to make the details easier to see. The bass is actually darker than the picture. Also notice how thick the bow is, almost clunky by todays standards.

I hope you enjoy seeing it as much as I did. Since I'm mostly a reader I thought it was an opportunity to contribute to the group that has helped me.

Blessings.

Attached Files:

2. Here is the bow picture

Attached Files:

3. ispider6

ispider6

Jan 30, 2005
    Thanks for the pics! I believe there are several other threads on this bass in TB somewhere. Just need to do a search for Dragonetti. That's terrific that you were able to see it in person. I wish I could have been there. :crying:

4. Just like to say Thanks!

It's an interesting old bass someone told me that it hasn't been played since Dragonetti gave it back (a year or 2 now! :) )... did you have to especially ask to see (I believe that was the case at one point) or is it now part of a public museum?

Thanks

5. Steve;

Admission to the Cathedral is free. However the museum in the church charges admission and it is part of the museum display. I didn't know anything about it being there, it was a happy coincidence that I stumbled on it. Best 3 Euro I spent that day.

Keith

6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
  7. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    Man! That's one beautiful bass! I want it! LOL

Too bad 3 string basses are not common nowadays. IMHO, basses should be played and not only be part of an expo. Don't get me wrong, it's great to sill have those basses around, but I think she must feel terribly lonesome locked up in there... :bawl:
    Thanks for the pics! :D

8. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Very cool.. There is something really amazing about a bass that is older than your country. It is a little bit of a bummer to knwo no one plays it, almost feels like a waste.

9. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    Thank you. That's the best picture I've seen of that bass.
    I love the red varnish.

10. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Check out the Pics in Pio's Book. Large hi-res color pics and a full story on Dragonetti, his father and his life besides the d'salo. Interesting rear scroll button with some screws in it.

11. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
  12. There should be some kind of a competition maybe or reward that allows that instrument to be played once in a while and recorded. What an experience that must be for a modern player.

Thanks for sharing the photos of your tour. That really is the best full length photo I've seen of that instrument. It looks like the lighting is always challenging in these museum situations and you still got a good sharp image with clear detail. The other pictures look like they were taken with flash and suffer from mass specular reflection off the metal or wood right back into the lens. It's like looking at the sun and one can't get a photo of a dark object that way. Is it possible to bring in a small tripod or do you have to sneak the photos with a cell phone????

Not that I'm suggesting being sneaky....