Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In need of a fretted bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by quatre03, Nov 16, 2004.

1. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    Hey guyes and gals, my instructor is in need of a fretted bass and im here trying to help him out. He currently plays the Ibanez GWB1 fretless, and he needs and Ibanez on par with that but for less than a 1k.
    do you have any suggestions :help:

2. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    4 or 5 or 6 string ?
    Active or Passive?

3. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    definatly a 5, both if possible, but i think ibanez are mostly actave

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    If he's that taken with the Ibanez Willis, he might want to keep his eyes open on the used market for the GWB2 fretted "sister" version that was made the first year of production. Try sending GW an e-mail - I know he used to sell the basses personally, and might have a fretted one sitting around somewhere.

As for a bass that fits the general parameters of the GWB, you could always have Carvin make an ash-bodied bolt-on and replace the electronics with Bartolini pups and electronics (which would be well under 1K). GW himself has stated that those three factors, along with a good setup is the majority of his sound.

5. quatre03

quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    that sounds like a great idea, i'll run it by him, but i still think he's gonna want an ibanez

6. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    Ibanez SR 505 or 905. Different woods than the GWB, but the exact same neck specs. Both under a grand, and well made. I wouldn't go below the 500s, though.