1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

In need of a good regulated power supply!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GuzBaas, Mar 8, 2013.

1. GuzBaas

GuzBaas

Oct 10, 2008
    London
    Hi!

I just bought a DHA VT1 Bass Eq and it hums like mad!

I contacted Dave and he said it is almost certain that I have a bad power supply... so

I'm in need of a good 12V DC 1200 mA regulated power supply...

To me, every power supply is a good power supply... so I need help!

Thanks!

2. The only thing that I can find as a solution is a TRex Chameleon with all 4 of its 12V output sections run in parallel.

Basically you'd take a daisy chain cable and put one plug in each 12V section and then put one in the pedal.

That really sucks as a solution though. You could try cobbling together a bunch of 1.5 volt batteries to make 12V as a test to verify that it is a power supply issue. The batteries won't last very long, but if it's still buzzing with batteries it's not a power supply issue.

3. DHA

DHA Dave Hall Amps

Oct 20, 2005
    300ma would be fine but higher rated supplies are always a good idea for a longer power supply life.

4. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
  5. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I just realized that Dave is DHA. Don't understand. Why don't you buy a new one from Dave?

6. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    Would that figure also be true for a vt2 std? I bought one used and it came with a 2.5 amp power supply. probably an old laptop charger

Ps. sorry for the hijack

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have destroyed three different expensive pieces of gear by trying to power them with laptop chargers. I do not have a good explanation of WHY that happened; and I know it is not just because of the high current rating. But I am permanently spooked away from using laptop supplies with pedals or rack gear.

8. GuzBaas

GuzBaas

Oct 10, 2008
    London
    Thanks everyone. I bought one at eBay and worked perfect!

So to anyone having unwanted noise from a DHA VT* pedal just get a GOOD REGULATED power supply.

9. GuzBaas

GuzBaas

Oct 10, 2008
    London
    I tried using my wireless router adapter.. but didn't work. :bag:

10. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    Sorry that really sucks

Maybe mine is, maybe it isn't. Its been working fine for a year or more, but if I can ditch it in favour of my cioks I surely will

11. duderus

duderus Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Can u show me which one u bought? I'm having a similar issue. Thank u!

12. duderus

duderus Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Nevermind, did u buy the one from eBay above? Did it work? I'm having the same problem.

13. DHA

DHA Dave Hall Amps

Oct 20, 2005
    VT2 will need at bit more, 500mA at least I would suggest

Dave

14. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    laptop chargers are typically 18-20V "DC" and can have very poor regulation. they are also prone to hum, buzz interference and RFI issues... given that they connect to a battery this is not an issue when used with a laptop, but none of this bodes well for pedals.
    ..and I take that back,.. sometimes they are not good when used with a laptop either..particularly when you are attempting pro-audio.. i unplug my laptop for mobile recording sessions...lol

15. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    Thanks for the info
    and thank you very much for making such a sweet sweet pedal

16. GuzBaas

GuzBaas

Oct 10, 2008
    London
    Just to help anyone with this issue... search for "regulated power supply" (with your volt/amp specs) at ebay/or else...

The one I bought was one intended for CAMS... it worked perfectly.

I already sold the DHA, but with that power supply sounded as advertised by Dave/DHA.

Thanks!