1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In need of advice for bass amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ethans1980, Jun 10, 2007.

1. ethans1980

ethans1980

Jun 10, 2007
    I've owned more than my share of crappy gear, and have overcome bad sound and lack of power through sheer stubborness and playing pretty hard. I'm now finally ready to be an adult and buy a real amp. So let's assume that money is not an issue for now. I am a working pro who plays rock, pop, country, jazz, fusion, brazilian, and latin music. I also do a lot of theatre gigs. After my Carvin head started having real reliability issues, I picked up a Peavey Mark VI head cheap. After lots of speaker cabinet casualties, I'm down to playing through two 1x15" cabs, which started out as Carvin cabs, but now have tougher replacement speakers in them. I also have an Aguilar DB112, which works great for theater and jazz gigs, but not for anything loud. I play a Yamaha TRB5 and a Ken Smith BSR5J fretless. So I'm looking for something that is ridiculously loud, I mean shaking buildings loud, that can handle a B string, and is also responsive. I've been using an EBS Multicomp and a Sansamp to get the amp to respond a little more. I have played an Aguilar DB750 and an Ampeg 450 solid state amp on gigs, and have to admit that I'm not that much of a fan of the Aguilar head. It was a little too clean sounding for my taste. I enjoyed hearing myself on stage with the Ampeg running through an 810E cab, but I'm not so sure about what it sounds like in the back of a club. I truly enjoy the way DJs get that punch in the chest kind of bass, and I guess I'm looking for something like that, with a little more note responsiveness. Sorry for the long winded story. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

2. My suggestion...

Eden!

Eden WT800B/C
    Eden D410XLT
    Eden D210XST

get better insurance cuz you will be slamming chest hairs through people's backs:)

3. ethans1980

ethans1980

Jun 10, 2007
    Thanks so much for the reply! Don't take the the wrong way, but do you have an alternate suggestion to Eden? I recently heard another bass player using the world tour head with two 410XLT cabs, and I stood in the back of the room and heard no bass over the guitars. Now maybe he didn't know what he was doing, but I also used to own a 210XLT. In my experience, the tone of the cabinet was not aggressive enough to compete with distorted guitar, and I actually blew both woofers... twice, because I was having to EQ the cab in a bad way to make it cut through. At the time, I was using a groove tubes preamp, a Ampeg SVP1500 power amp and running it with a Peavey 410. LOL, now that's a mongrel setup. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing either. To be honest, I don't care if I have to move half of a PA to get the sound I want. Thanks again.

4. dela217

dela217

Mar 2, 2006
    New Orleans, La
    My suggestion.

Stay away from Eden.

GK makes some great stuff. Durable, and affordable too.

5. You want to cut through any mix?

Ampeg Ampeg Ampeg.

Just stay away from that damn B-series, Horrible slop made overseas.

6. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    The mark VI is a great amp, and 2x15s (good ones) should certainly hold their own . Are you running a DI thru the PA? If you want loud, then I would go that direction.

PhillipHolbrook likes this.
  7. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    If you dont want problems from the start.. Stay away from eden.. There is a thread going on right now addressing that issue from once again multiple Former eden users..
    If you are gigging once a month the eden would be fine but if you are a pro and gigging all the time stay clear of eden..

FYI.. and former eden user with horrible experience. Go to the eden forum and read all the issues people are having with their new 800C rhigt out of the box.. issues still continue months after they said they were fixed.

Do the homework, dont take my word for it.

Loud and reliable.. Genz Benz GBE750.. Lots of reviews about Genz gear especially the GBE1200. Dual channles FET and TUBE.. RELIABLE!!!
    From super clean to TUBE distortion if you want.. Punchy fast, and EXCELLENT Immediate customer service, from mine and other folks experience.. I love my GBE1200 for a wide variety of gigs, jazzy stuff to acoustic, to all out R7B and Rock gigs.. Great sounding DI. Sound great flat but it has Much Mucho EQ options..

And all the eden worshippers will gang up and say their peace about GB only because their feelings are hurt that so many left to go to GB.. Dont fall for it... FYI- you see, you cant tell the whole truth about eden here, many people get their undergarments in a wad..

8. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps

9. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    hahhaha LOL.. I knew i ws being watched.. who me.. im not paranoid.:eek:

Inside joke here.. sorry... I may have over stepped and my mission could be complete in 845..:)

10. Paulitics

Paulitics

Apr 12, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    If you want to get that heavy bone rattling sound you really need to run a DI through a PA. If the venue is of decent size thats the only realistic way. For smaller clubs you can get away with a 810 or a 410 and a 115. From there you just need to find an amp that cuts through the way you want it too. I think GK is great but just try a bunch of things. Its all about how you EQ things. You can play a 1600W amp but if you are dumping most of that power into very low frequencies you may not hear yourself at all in the mix.

11. ethans1980

ethans1980

Jun 10, 2007
    Thanks to everyone. I will definately check out the GB. I know that the PA is pretty much the best way to go in order to get that bone crushing sound; maybe I'll start bringing my OWN PA. lol In all seriousness, I play between 5 and 9 gigs per week, so reliability is a big deal. The other thing I'm really looking for is responsiveness. I want to have the notes jump out of the cabinet and really FEEL them in that low mid frequency range. I'm open to try about anything, because my hands really can't take it anymore. Anytime I play my rig with a couple of guitar players using marshalls, my bass is immediately gone on stage. Thanks for everyone's advice so far!

12. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    You didn't mention that you needed a super high volume situation. Fact is if you do, then like someone alluded to you need to DI whatever you end up with anyway.

Eden, Genz, they both make great sounding products. I can't speak to the reliability issues of Eden but if I were you and there was something on the radar that made someone sound-off it would concern me.

Personally the only way I would consider hauling a separate head/ cab rig made by anybody is if I were playing larger venues/outdoor shows almost exclusively. But I'm a bit of a portability freak these days.

I have not done the small to medium size gig that my GK 1001 RB combo has not stepped up to the plate for. When I get to a bigger venue or outdoors, I throw it up on an extra cab, warn the drummer and file the necessary permits...

Joel :bassist:

13. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    These bassists:

ABE LABORIEL L.A. Session Ace
    ABE WHITE Cold Truth, Dan Shafer
    ACE LIVINGSTON J Lo
    ADAM BLACKSTONE Jill Scott Band, Jay-Z, Various Artists
    ADAM PHILLIPS Autumn & Empire
    ARIANE CAP Tempest /Solo Artist
    AL TURNER Kem, Oleta Adams, Earl Klugh and Bob James
    ALEX AL Studio ace, The Vibe Show
    ALEX EVANS BeBe and CeCe Winans
    ALEX KATUNICH Incubus
    ALLISON PRESSWOOD Patty Loveless/Session Ace
    AMLAK TAFARI Pato Banton
    ANNA KJELLBERG Drain
    ARTIE REYNOLDS Alex Bugron
    ASTON "FAMILY MAN" BARRETT Bob Marley, The Wailers, Reggae Studio Ace
    B6 (RON BUCKNER) The Buckner Funken Jazz Band
    BAKITHI KUMALO Paul Simon, Various Artists
    BENNY RIETVELD Santana
    BILL CLEMENTS Solo Artist, Clinician
    BOBBY BELLEMANS Junior Brown
    BONES HILLMAN Midnight Oil
    BRAD ALBIN Joe Nichols
    BRIAN BUSH Impromp2
    BRIAN MINATO Sarah McLachlan
    BRIAN PATTERSON The Manhattans
    BRYAN HOWARD Kevin Kinney
    BYRON HOUSE Dixie Chicks
    CASS LEWIS Various Artists
    CHARLIE HAYWARD Charlie Daniels Band
    CHARLIE HUNTER Charlie Hunter Trio
    CHRIS EIKE Finneus Gauge
    CHRIS KENT Take 6
    CHRIS MATTHEWS Various Artists
    CHRIS PARKS Various Artists
    CHRIS SEVERIN Various Artists
    CHRISTIAN STÖCK Marla Glen
    CHRISTINE ELLIS Martha Davis
    CHUCK WEBB Ramsey Lewis, others.
    CLINT HARRIS Various Artists
    CONRAD KORSCH Various Artists
    CORKY HOLBROOK Billy Ray Cyrus
    CORNELIUS MIMS Brandy
    CRAIG MURRAY Crash the Machine / Educator
    DAN WALTERS Les Dudek, LFO/Dan Walters/Solo
    DARREL FREEMAN Queen Latifah, Donnie McClurkin, Session Artist
    DAVE MEROS Spock's Beard, Eric Burdon
    DAVID GERGO Polka King
    DAVID SLANKARD Everything
    DAVID TAYLOR Byan Adams
    DAVE WEBB Sugarland/Various Artists
    DEAN JARVIS Nelly Furtado
    DENNIS MICHAELS Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
    DENNIS MURPHY Acoustic Alchemy
    DEREK POWELL Trousers
    DINO KOURELIS Marty Casey & The Lovehammers
    DOUG LUNNMark Isham
    DOUGIE KEEBLER beggars fortune
    DR. DAVE BURNS The Beat Daddys
    DUANE "SMITTY" SMITH Bone James
    "E" PRUITT Soloist/Various Artists
    ERIC SMITH Tony Rich Project/Babyface
    ERIC UDELL Blues Brothers
    ERNEST TIBBS
    David Benoit
    ETHAN FARMER Christina
    EVAN MARIENHouse of Isness/Evan Marien Group
    FELL HERDEZ New Brown Hat
    FRAYNE LEWISFrayne
    GABRIEL WISEMANProducer/session
    GARY JONES The Goodfellas/Producer
    GEISAN VARNE Jimmy Cliff
    GEORGE REIFF Charlie Sexton
    GERALD ALBRIGHT MCA Recording Artist
    GREG COOK Ricochet
    GIORGIO TUPANJANIN Various Artists - Session Ace
    GREG MAGNUSON Magnuson
    GREG RZAB Buddy Guy
    GREGORY JONES Bobby Watson
    GUNTER NEZHODA Pat Travers & Leslie West
    IAN MILLER Shakin' Pickle
    IRA DEAN Trick Pony
    J.J. BARRERA Tailgators
    J.V. COLLIER Bruce Hornsby
    JAKE WILLEMAIN Clint Black
    JASON SCHEFF Chicago
    JAY TURNER Nashville Bassist
    JEFF ANDREWS Mike Stern Trio
    JEFF COLLETTE Nashville Session
    JEFF McELROY Kitaro
    JEFF WHITTLE Tiles
    JEPH HOWARDThe Used
    JEROME ALLEN Kirk Franklin & Family
    JIM FERGUSON Crystal Gale
    JIM MAYER Jimmy Buffett
    JIMMY CREEGANBNL
    JOE BUTCHERGeorge Canyon
    JOE LEE Derryl Perry
    JOE A. THOMAS Billy Joe Walker Jr.
    JOHN BILLINGS Donna Summer, Rick Springfield
    JOHN DUNN The Lion King
    JOHN HATTON Brian Setzer Orchestra
    JOHN HOWARD Faith Hill, 6 Wire
    JOHN "THE BARBARIAN" ALTEVOGT Mama Cotton
    JOHNNY B. GAYDEN Albert Collins / Various Artists
    JOHNNY CASTLE Nighthawks
    JORGE CASAS Gloria Estefan
    JOSH CROMER Overflow
    JOSH HIGGINS Fluf
    JUAN GARCIA-HERREROS The Snow Owl Quartet
    KAI ECKHARDT Garaj Mahal
    KEITH JONES Andy Narell
    KEN BARNUM33 West
    KIM FARRAR Bloodline
    KIRCH BALWAKNonpoint
    KRZYSZTOF ŚCIERAŃSKIVarious
    LA'NAR BRANTLEY Mary J. Blidge
    LANE BALDWIN Deeper Blues / Various Artists
    LARRY KIMPEL Larry Carlton, Anita Baker, Tom Scott
    LAYMON DAVIS Heroes
    LESLIE BLOOME L.A. Bassist
    MAGNUS ROSEN Hammerfall
    MAHLON HAWK
    MARK BROOKSVarious Artists
    MARK EGAN New York Session Ace / Solo
    MARK WELDON
    MASSIMILIANO ATZENI(P)neumatica
    MATT MINFORDSix Star Hotel
    MATT VARHOLA Wayne Newton
    MAURICE FITZGERALD Destiny's Child
    MEL BROWN Nelson Rangell
    MERLIN SHIPPY Various Artists
    MICHAEL BROWN Chicago session/blues player
    MICHAEL GERRY Les Miserables Touring Company
    MICHAEL MANSON Brian Culbertson
    MICHAEL VISCEGLIA Suzzane Vega
    MICHELLE POE Michelle Poe
    MICK MAHANPat Benatar
    MIKE BRIGNARDELLO Nashville Studio Ace
    MIKE ELAZANNO Dr. Drey, Rickie Lee Jones
    MIKE GORDON Phish, Leo Kottke
    MIKE WATT Minute Men
    MIKEY WEISS Dance Hall Crashers
    MYRON EDWINS One Four Records
    NAKIA GREEN Peter's Rock Mass Choir
    NATE PHILLIPS The Crusaders
    OREST The Eels
    OSKAR CARTAYA Spyro Gyra
    PAT ELLWOOD Marshall Tucker Band
    PAT FOGARTY Push Monkey
    PAUL BURNETTE Darkest Hour
    PAUL NOWINSKI Les Paul
    PAUL THOMASGOOD CHARLOTTE
    PHIL LESH The Dead, Phil & Friends
    POLO JONES Zucchero, Eric Clapton, Whitney Houston
    RANDY HOPE TAYLOR Incognito
    RANDY JACKSON Legendary Studio Player
    RANDY LANDAU Various Artists
    RANDY McDONALD Tommy Castro Band
    RAY McKINLEY Patti LaBelle
    REV JONES Black Symphony, Michael Schenker Group
    RICKY WOLKING Edgewater
    ROB DEXTER The Redfelts
    ROBERT KUBISZYN Various
    ROCCO PRESTIA Tower Of Power, It's A Secret
    RON JENKINS Various Artists
    ROSS VALORY Journey
    ROSS VANDER WERFTo My Surprise
    ROY VOGT Englebert Humperdink
    SEAN O'BRYAN SMITH Various Artists / Session Master
    SETH BRASILE Bringing Down Broadway
    SHARAY REED Patti LaBelle
    SHAUN SMITH Billy Currington
    STEVE COOK King Konga/Midajo
    STEVE KIRK Mark Winston Kirk Band
    STEVE VINES Mike Griffin
    STEVE WILSONAM. Zeros
    STUART WATKINS Various Artists
    TED MAYJust Mr. / Various Artists
    TERRENCE RICHBURG Various Artists
    THADDEUS GRAHAM L.A.
    TIM WILLIAMS John Michael Montgomery
    TOM BARNEY Steely Dan/SNL
    TOM DRUMMOND Better Than Ezra
    TOM MICHAEL Sonicflood
    TONY QUALLS Groovatron
    TRAAPOD
    TRACY WORMWORTH Rosie O'Donnell Show
    TRES GILBERT' Johnny Gill, BBD, Millie Jackson
    TROY ANTUNES Justin Timberlake
    URIAH DUFFY Whitesnake
    WES WATSON StrangeLand
    WESLEY COLE SWITZER Various Artists/Solo
    WILLI LANGER Austrian Session Artist
    WILLIE WEEKS Wynonna
    YOLANDA CHARLES Robbie Williams
    ZACH FOWLER The James Douglas Show

will tell you otherwise. Impressive list, lots of styles represented. And as I understand it, these bassists are neither paid to endorse Eden products nor do they receive free gear from Eden. Many are gigging pretty often, too ;) .

14. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    There are a few of them no longer with Eden... That is an impressive list.. i must say... but hey at least they are doing gigs that have FOH when their amp goes poop..:eek:

15. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'd suggest a GK 2001-RB. Plenty of power, can be nice and dirty if you like.

As far as your DB-112 volume issues...get a second cab and it'll be much louder. I'm sure I'll hear all kinds of flack like it'll only be 3db louder, but there is a lot more noticable bass when you add a second cab in. I don't look at paper all of the time...I let my ears do the judging.

PhillipHolbrook likes this.
  16. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    I have only heard Good things on the GK 2001-RB...

Have you tried any of the Genz Benz headz... Excellent on the road and local gigs... The GBE1200 is a monster... When a crew moves it... I love it..hahah ...there is no problem.. But I still use it on local gigs too.. it is about the same weight as the aggy Db750 but far more flexible from my experience... The DB750 is one loud head and only about 33 pounds or so.. it too is a monster

17. ethans1980

ethans1980

Jun 10, 2007
    Thanks, I'll definately check out the GK 2001RB. I only use the DB112 on small theatre gigs. I need to figure out what kind of cabinets to use on loud rock gigs. I think if I go the GK route, I would look into Hartke or Aguilar cabinets. I've played GK heads on Hartke cabinets at gigs and it sounded pretty great, but I've also played GK heads in about every rehearsal studio in Los Angeles, and they didn't sound so great, but there's a lot of abuse that goes on in those kinds of situations... I'm open to anyone's suggestions about cabinets too! thanks!

18. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    An Aguilar DB410 sounds rediculous with a GK head running through it! That will be my next rig of choice!!! I would stick with 10" speaker on a GK, but that's just me. I think they have a great punch to them that really shows off the GK sound.

Aggie are always my cabs of choice...no matter what. That's why they have different lines and different speaker combos...

19. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    From a reliability,sound,bang for the buck and volume standpoint, you would be very hard pressed to beat a GK 1001rbII and an sbx 410 and 15. That is my electric bass rig now. Proir to that I used an 800rb with two trace elliott cabs and had no problems for 20 years. Trust your ears...

20. What about a Peavey Pro 2000? The Peavey brand is indestructible and there are some pretty reputable rock players using Peavey. Peavey is also known for being transparent as well as dirty. I love my current head, I just wish it had more watts...even though I don't need em right now.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021