In need of advice: Rickenbacker 4003 vs 4003S

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chalkyheart, Dec 12, 2020.

1. chalkyheart

chalkyheart

Dec 5, 2020
    Oregon
    I very much want to join the Rickenbacker club. It's my dream bass and I've recently become obsessed. Again. My real problem is I would LOVE to have one of rare colors in particular (I have a post in the classifieds that I hope pans out), but I think I've managed to find it in the 4003S. My question is this: should I hold out for the dream bass in the dream finish? Should I settle for the 4003S? Or should I go for one of the available 4003 finishes?

I haven't managed to track down a 4003S and it's been a hot minute since I've played a 4003, so any advice from the community would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Well I'd say that if you can't find a deal on what you want I'd probably be patient and keep looking so you're not settling meanwhile you're paying good money to settle at that. Rics are unique in how the neck and pickup windings vary in each year. Some are just huge sounding while others are quieter. Some have fat necks while others are paper thin. Main things are to find a color you like and a neck you like. If the pickups aren't doing it for you then you can totally upgrade later. Hope this helps.

chalkyheart likes this.
  3. chalkyheart

chalkyheart

Dec 5, 2020
    Oregon
    It totally does help, and that's the way I've been leaning. Thanks for the reply!

4. No problem. Have fun with your Ricky when you land yours. I still want either a jetglo 4001 or the 4003w.

chalkyheart likes this.
  5. AngryBison

AngryBison

Jul 22, 2011

6. AngryBison

AngryBison

Jul 22, 2011
    Just bought a Fireglow 4003s... preferred the rounded edges and would never have used the stereo jack...so far exceeded expectations!

Bunky and chalkyheart like this.
  7. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Which one is it?

8. chalkyheart

chalkyheart

Dec 5, 2020
    Oregon
    It's the Plum Glo
    I found the finish I want in the 4003S online, but I haven't found one in person to try playing.

9. chalkyheart

chalkyheart

Dec 5, 2020
    Oregon
    That's awesome! I don't know that I'd ever use the stereo jack, but I do love the binding and the triangle inlays.

10. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Ric's are all a little different but also all pretty much the same. I bought many online and they were all fantastic.
    Plus you should have at least 10-45 days to return it if you don't like it.

bobyoung53 and chalkyheart like this.
  11. chalkyheart

chalkyheart

Dec 5, 2020
    Oregon
    That's a fair point.

12. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    DUDE!

I want it too.

If it is still there in about 2 1/2 months, I am going to go for it.

I say if you can make it happen, do it. I say that as a guy who wants that too.

Conversely, if you have the budget I do not see why you could get a used 4003s and have it refinished in that color (unless you NEED that maple board).

chalkyheart likes this.
  13. chalkyheart

chalkyheart

Dec 5, 2020
    Oregon
    Yeah, if it's still available in late January I may do it. It's just I really prefer the look of the 4003 and the binding. It feels like that'd be a total pain to refinish. But I may try all the same.

14. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    I hear that, and the stereo input appeals to me.

If I land it, I may replace the stereo jack.

If you get it, please post the NBD. I will congratulate you.