1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In need of cabinet selection help (Ampeg vs. Markbass vs. Eden vs. Mesa)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b0b4f377, Apr 10, 2009.

1. b0b4f377

b0b4f377

Feb 3, 2008
    Morristown, TN
    The time has come that I have stayed glued to Earth and circled the sun once again. The one time of year I have an excuse to splurge :hyper:

First, I realize I need to play to hear for myself which I think is best, but the only option I surely have of hearing one in action is Ampeg, and maybe Markbass, going to find out soon.

So, I am looking to upgrade my 4x10 cabinet. Right now, I've got a Hartke VX410 paired with a Hartke 3500 head. The cab only handles 8 ohms, with the amp pushing 250w through it. The amp can handle going down to 4 ohms, and pushing 350w. I'd prefer getting a 4 ohm cab now to handle the 350w and with the option of upgrading the amp later. Ideally, I'd like to get a 1x15 cab to pair with one of the 4x10's I'm looking at, but that comes after the amp. With that in mind, I'm looking at:

Ampeg SVT 410-HLF
    Eden D410XLT
    Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 410
    Markbass Standard 104 HF or HR (not sure what the difference in porting does, maybe someone can enlighten me)

I'm a rocker at heart and love some good alternative too. I alternate playing a Stingray 5 and a Sterling 4 in a church praise & worship band, my only way of sharing the musical love. I'm looking for a cab that is way more articulate than the cheapie Hartke. I much prefer the tube-ish tone out of the amp over the solid state. It's got low end, I'm just looking for clarity, better articulation, while keeping the low, and then adding some punch.

That's all I can think of for now, I'm sure I'll come up with other questions when some opinions get thrown out. Thanks for your help, peeps

2. JeremyJJackson

JeremyJJackson

Mar 1, 2009
    i personally like the ampeg 410 hlf but keep in mind that it really doesnt matter what i like it what you like. All cabs effect the tone your going to get so id try em first. Although i do like the markbass as well. i was never a fan of eden and mesa

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Couldn't have picked 4 more different sounding cabs. The Ampeg is a total low end mud frequency monster. The Markbass has very pronounced upper mids (the HF has a front port and the HR has a rear port, but what makes the difference is the HF is a bigger cab so it has lower frequency response, but neither cab sounds as deep as the HLF, which may be a good thing). The Eden is bright and mid scoopy to my ears. Not familiar with the Mesa, but from descriptions I've heard, it sounds like what we wish new Ampeg cabs would sound like. Out of those cabs, even though I've never heard it, I think I'd take the Mesa, with the Markbass 104 HF second.

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Jimmy's right about the MB cabs. The HF (front ported) has more low end and the HR (rear ported) is all about the mids. The HR is a smaller box and that's why. I like the 104HR better from what I've been able to tell fooling around at GC.

murphy likes this.
  5. There is no Eden 410HLT.

6. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    MESA is designed by God that's why you see so few for sale...
    a 2x10 Powerhouse handles 600 watts 8 Ohms, tight, clean, fat and punchy...
    Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh Baby!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrowl thump

7. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Ampeg SVT 410-HLF
    Eden D410HLT

I have to agree with Jimmy on the SVT 410hlf - it is a muddy sounding and midrange deficient cab. The arituclation in this cab is next to nothing. It sounds great with a SVT 3 PRO though, but otherwise try something else.

The Eden 410XLT (which is what I think you meant), sorry Jimmy, have to disagree with your previous comment...it's a very growly and midrange forward cabinet, with solid low end, decent clarity, and a noticeable growl in the mids. It spreads bass tone amazingly, is quite loud and will annoy bandmates quite fast! Huge plus on that one!

As for the rest of the cabs, I don't have much experience with them. FYI - I do play in a cover band and we cover modern rock, 80's, alternative and so on - the Eden 410XLT kicks butt for all of that. I suggest getting the 410 that gets you the sound you like. Try as many as you can before splurging.

murphy likes this.
  8. b0b4f377

b0b4f377

Feb 3, 2008
    Morristown, TN
    Thanks for the responses so far guys. Here I was, thinking Ampeg would be the fall back plan. Good thing I can definitely try it out. Sorry about getting the Eden model number wrong. I looked it up when I originally posted, saw that it was wrong, but it didn't click in my mind (probably because it was after 1 A.M.). I wish I could hear the Mesa Boogie and Eden in person, I'd probably have my decision made right then. But, I may have to go it blind. If neither of them float my boat, it seems like it'd be easy to offload them so I could get something else pretty quick. Regardless, keep the input coming!

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    HOW DARE YOU!!!! :D

Well, maybe it's that overpowering tweeter in them or the Eden heads that give me that impression. I'd like to try an Eden cab with a good head ;)

10. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Local metal bassist is running a 4 ohm Eden 410XLT cab with a G.K. 1001 head against Marshall's and Mesa's, he has P.A. support. He's usually the one that's asked to bring his level down!!!!

11. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    if the cabinet has mesa on it, and its available to you, its a gift from god and must be accepted. mesa cabs are absolutley delicious.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Of your 4 choices, I would no doubt choose the Mesa. But, have you considered just adding another 8 ohm cab to the rig you have now? Might be a cheaper way to achieve full power from your Harke head. A single 15 would do the trick.

13. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    If you want simple solid one 4ohm cab go MESA Powerhouse 2x12 or 2-1x12
    The Mesa Powerhouse 2x10 is fantastic: so is the 4x10 and
    the 1200 = 4x10 + 1X15
    The same in 2x10 + 1x15 is sweet too...
    IF you don't go Mesa go with Aguilar DB series...

14. If youre going to get a 4 ohm 4x10, and are thinkin about adding a 115 later, while using your hartke head, youre going to have to buy a power amp to run that 15. 4 and 8 ohms paralell into your head = BOOM

15. b0b4f377

b0b4f377

Feb 3, 2008
    Morristown, TN
    I'll upgrade the amp head before I get a 115 to pair the 410 with. From what I understand, getting a 4 ohm 410 now, I'll need an amp head that can do down to 2 ohm, and then find a 4 ohm 115. Someone correct me if that's not right.

Anyways, I just got back from GC and tried out the Markbass 104HR and the Ampeg SVT-410HLF. I'm not really impressed with the Ampeg. It may have been the head unit they had it running through (an SVT-4PRO), but the sound was underwhelming, to say the least. I'm digging the Markbass. The highs weren't as crisp as I was hoping for, but I didn't get to play with the horn adjuster on the side of the cab.

If only there were someone in eastern Tennessee with a Mesa cab that would let me hear it...

16. b0b4f377

b0b4f377

Feb 3, 2008
    Morristown, TN
    Any other opinions? General consensus is Mesa, but after playing the Markbass, I'm kinda leaning towards it. I believe in getting what you pay for, but it's hard to beat an awesome used deal on a Markbass amp when they sound so superb. Would the jump from Markbass to Mesa still be worth it?

17. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    For what you're doing, I would recommend either the Mesa or an Acme Low B. The Eden is my all-time favorite cab, but IME it really needs to be played LOUDLY to get the Eden growl out of it (try an SVT through one, Jimmy!). It will be rather polite in a church setting, but other cabs do polite a bit better.

18. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Mesa and Eden are in a class above those others. Far, far above.

However, at this stage in the game I wouldn't buy a mainstream speaker cabinet, ever again. Get yourself a custom by LDS or Dr. Bass or someone, pay less than you'd pay for a mainstream guitar center cabinet, and get three times the sound. We as bass players need to stop paying insane prices for mediocre 4-speakers-in-a-box cabinets that offer only the same cabinet engineering done 20 years ago with speakers designed 10 years ago.

That said, if you're gonna pony up a grand for a cab and want to rock, I'd get a Bergie Nv610.

The things you can accomplish with a Kappalite 3015LF and a quality midrange driver seriously put to shame everything else out there though. I've got a cab with a mid and two 3015LFs that weighs less than 70lbs, and I can embarrass any 6x10 in volume and crush most 8x10s weighing 150+.

19. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    In 8 1/2 years I'd hope they made a decision already.

20. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Just to clarify, the PH-210 is rated at 400 watts RMS not 600 watts.