Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In need of consolidation

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by tresdirnt, Jul 20, 2001.

1. We booked the church hall. We got the equipment. We practiced, everything was fine. And then everything went wrong. The bassist started being annoying, so I had to play bass. Although bass is my main instrument, in this gig I was playing lead guitar. So, I thought fine. I know the basslines. Sort of. So we soldiered on, a cover of Feeders Insomnia. I was doing it. My singing was fine. Then the people at the church hall decided we couldn't have a gig and everything stopped, mid-song. Then they decided we could go on, we promised to clean up. So we started again. But everything had been unplugged and when we set it up again the levels were all out. But we carried on. Same song, different voice. It turns out me being annoyed does not make for good singing. Then the police came, we were making to much noise. Though the discos there every night are apparently fine. So I left, knowing that I would never sing a cover song again unless I was doing backing vocals. Suffice to say I am the BASSIST now in another (good) band, and I only do backing vocals for covers. I can sing my own songs fine. My advice, don't use Carisbrooke Church Hall for a gig. Ever.
    That feels a lot better.

2. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Thanks for the tip.

3. Thats fine. I know how helpful my tips can be. Also, if your guitarist sucks then just crank up the bass. It works for me.

4. yes but like in my band he turns up even louder! hehehehehehe

You made the right choice tho dude. I would've packed up and left after being stopped halfway through, thats their fault for stuffing you around.

:mad:

Merls