1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In need of Ibanez info

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ejaggers, May 3, 2010.

1. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    I’ve been strictly a fender man for so long, and I’m trying to expand. I recently traded for a epi tbird iv, but not sure if I’m going to keep it. I’m thinking about an Ibanez but know very little about them. Can you educate me? There are so many models, which is your favorite, and why? Are there any that you don’t like?

2. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    Hmm.. I'd say my favourite models are the atk's and SR 500 and up. The atk has a chunky bolt on neck, single bridge humbucker.. It's like a thumpy stingray. The SR's have thin, fast necks, bartolini pickups etc. Really lightweight and versatile.

Ibanez pretty mutch has everything, and you don't have to pay a lot to get a decent bass from them.

3. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I love the SR series 500 and up... They sound and play really good far as money spent...

4. LOVE my ATK.

As a Fender guy, you'd probably enjoy its aesthetic too. It's got a wide but shallow neck that i LOVE. I'm a P bass guy, and i like the P neck. The ATK works very well for me*. I also love its tonal variety with it's three possition humbucker. It's been my main player for almost a decade now.

atk1.

*also, being a P bass guy, i found my SRX390 and SR505 necks to be a little too thin for me. It just wasn't comfortable. So i'd say, if you like the P neck, check an ATK... if you like a J neck, check the SR(X). Aaaand for something completely different, try a JTK... sweet vintagey mojo in that one.

5. I like P necks. I had an ATK that I adored. If you can find a Ibanez Blazer (there is one on ebay for reference) I am a huge fan of the pickup in those (Super P-4).

I have heard to stay away from the Artcore series. Sucks because they are cool.

6. scHism

scHism

Aug 12, 2009
    Philippines
    Any SR500 and up or ATK's, it would just depend on what your feel and tone preferences are.

7. chiefstrum

chiefstrum

May 3, 2010
    i play an SR1005 prestige through an eden rig and it is SWEET! i can get everything from icepick attach to bathtub thud without even touching the amp controls. I played alot of basses before I decided and for me this was the one

8. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    I have used the Soundgear basses by Ibanez for almost 20 years. I concur with what everyone is saying on the SR 500's on up are very good basses. Even the SR 400's aren't to bad but they don't have the Bartolini electronics in them.

9. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    I'm hoping the weekend crowd can also chime in on this thread. I'm really learning a lot. I've also read threads on this site that recommend staying away from the cheaper models, that said, I noticed people are saying SR 500 and up.

10. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Here's a thumbs-up for the Ibanez BTB line from a guy who played a 78 P-Bass exclusively from 1981 until a couple of months ago.

I got a 4-string BTB in a really nice red quilted maple finish, mint except for one tiny nick in the headstock, off eBay for $330 shipped with factory HSC. No it does not sound like a P-Bass, but it is much lighter than my P-Bass which my 41-year old back appreciates immensely after a 4-hour bar gig. Nice thin neck (though the 35-inch scale takes some getting used to), dead silent electronics and mad versatility in the tone department with a sweepable midrange onboard -- which is important to me since my main gig is a variety band doing everything from 50s country to 90s rock.

11. bassdaddyfive

bassdaddyfive

Feb 12, 2009
    Kenosha Wi.
    Ibanez has been around for a long time. I have owned around 12 basses over the years. I play mine as much as I play my Warwicks and my Ken Smith. I have a BTB 1205, a SR706 and a SR506. You can't go wrong with Ibanez basses as long as you stay with the higher models. After all you get what you pay for.

12. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    + 1
    But I found out that the pre on the 400 series is the weak link not the pups. I put a Agular OPB 3 in my SR 406 and it flat out smoked anything within $1000- $1500price range IMHO:bassist: I wish I still had that bass:bawl:

13. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I've owned and played many basses and guitars over the years. Right now, I only have my trusty jazz and my SR505. I play the SR505 way more often. I can also dial in a very jazz-y sound if I want, a pretty close P tone and all the modern bass sound I can take. The light weight is nothing to shake a stick at either, mine's well under eight pounds..

14. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Is that with the stock DX6 pickups? Did you notice a more focused B, because that is the only problem I have with mine.

15. I have an Ibanez 496 (older version of the 500 model) and it has treated me very well over the years. I upgraded the pre to one that I build myself and I can agree with the previous comment about that mod.... it kicks serious a$$. The 500 model with Barts sounds great but I haven't had a chance to play one that is set up properly (thanks GC).

16. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    They are good aren't they? I didn't have any problem with the B on my bass. It could be the way your's is set up. I would start there and see if that fixes it before try anything else.

17. Turtle71

Turtle71 Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Madison, WI
    Well, I guess I'll just echo the SR500 sentiment.. I have 2 SR505's and they get a lot of playtime.

I'll say the Ibanez instruments are capable of providing a pretty wide range of tones (based on model). But they aren't "everything for everyone" so make sure you try a few different models, through different rigs.

As mentioned above, the SR series have pretty thin necks, it takes some getting use to for sure (especially if your coming from a "baseball bat" neck equipped bass), but once I got use to mine, this neck just flies & plays so smooth.

The electronics on the SR500 series have Bartolini pups, w/ a 3 band active EQ (2009 & older I believe), but if you decide on a brand new SR500, It'll also some with a "mini toggle mid frequency switch" as well. (mine are not equipped this way, so I can't comment on how that EQ/preamp sounds).

If you do decide on getting a SR500 model, I strongly suggest a quality gigbag or hardcase, the finish on these basses tend to be a little soft & easy to ding.

18. If I didn't feel as if I was cheating my 505 by never using the low B, I'd keep it. I just can't justify having a 5 string when I don't really need it. It happens to be on sale over in the classified section cough cough plug cough cough

19. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    Im a big fan of the SR series. amazing thin and fast necks. super lightweight. you can get a really nice low action (even with heavy gauge strings) the older ones come with EMGs. personally id go for an older SR800 or SR900 and swap the preamp out with an EMG pre

20. I LOVE the ATKs. vompletely different from the SRs, really great tone, and i like the neck and overall feel. Ive got a 5 string, cause i got it on sale, and now i feel a lil weird without a 5th string haha
    Great basses, i have had 2 ibanez Artcore guitars as well, both exceptional instruments.