Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In Need of Much Historical Info

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by Chrix, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Chrix

Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Brooklyn
    So here's the story: for my jazz histrory class, I'm wanting to do my final paper on the evolution of jazz bass; mostly how the switch from tuba/sousaphone to double bass occured and the evolution of the standard walking bassline, rather than constant two-beat lines.

If possible, information on musicians (obviously players like Pops Foster, Welman Braud, etc...) and also any regional information.

Basically just all the information I can possibly dig up on this subject.

I'm hoping maybe someone around here either has some good info or knows of good websites/articles/books/recordings that I could use.

Thanks for any help!

2. Chrix

Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Brooklyn
    I do have that book, but was also wondering about any other resources. I'd like to think that Goldsby's book isn't the only one...

3. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Check out Milt Hinton's book "Bass Line." In it he discusses his transition from bass to tuba. You'll have to search a bit in the text for it, but he gives a lot of good insight into that period. He's one of the guys who actually remembered carrying a tuba and a bass to gigs!

In general, the book is great and very interesting. It also includes many photos he took of different musicians.

4. Steve Bassman

Steve Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    "Early Jazz" by Gunther Schuller has a lot about early jazz bassists and the gradual switch from tuba to string bass in jazz rhythm sections. It's pretty in depth. I believe this book is still in print, although I've never seen it in a book store. My local library has a copy. The original Pops Foster autobiography has some discussion about this too in the introduction written by Bertram Turetzky. There is a new edition of this book, but I belive the introduction has been changed. Another book that touches on this subject is "Lost Chords" by Richard M. Sudhalter. He mostly writes about New Orleans bassist Steve Brown and how he help popularzie the string bass over the tuba with his forceful playing with the Jean Goldkette band.

I hope this is helpful. Is there a specific quesion you need answered? I've done quite a bit of reading about early jazz. Maybe I (or someone else on the board) will know the answer.

- Steve

My web page

5. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    This project sounds like if you do a really thorough job it would probably be publishable.

Good luck.