Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In need of new bass for jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matiya, Sep 16, 2005.

1. As the title suggests, I'm currently looking for a 4-string bass, which would be suitable for covering some JAZZ standards.. I'm VERY interested in semi-hollow basses, but haven't had the chance to check any of them, yet. The bass I'm looking for would have to cost less than 800 EUR (which also includes, I would have to be able to find a dealer in Europe), even less is even better. It would have to be very deep sounding, not at all bright. It needs to provide a solid bassis for the band, so nothing flashy is required.
    I'm currently looking at the following basses:

Ibanez Artcore
    DiPinto Belvedere Standard
    Yamaha BEX BS signature
    Duesenberg Star bass

I'd love to hear some clips of the basses mentioned; I'd also be grateful for your kind replies.

Thanks in advance!

2. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    try and find a used rob allen mb-2 4 string, or a rob allen mouse

those are your best bet/.

3. hows about a JAZZ BASS? (I know its stating the obvious, but its what they were made for - I've got 3 they're so good, and my bass teacher (a weather report kind of guy) loves his fretless squier JV jazz...) :)

4. 56p500w

56p500w

Sep 16, 2005
    The Ibanez Artcore AGB40 with flats (Thomastik-Infeld, my choice) provides a great, smooth sound with excellent sustain, too. No fret noise as with round-wounds and the craftsmanship is excellent (tho made in China).

5. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Precision bass with tape wounds would be my preference.

Or, ideally, a double bass (must . . . find . . . one . . . $1000 . . . or less . . . *twitch*)

6. i personally prefer my fretless p bass with the la bella flatwounds. its like an upright with that electric bite. :D