In need of new bass for jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matiya, Sep 16, 2005.

1. As the title suggests, I'm currently looking for a 4-string bass, which would be suitable for covering some JAZZ standards.. I'm VERY interested in semi-hollow basses, but haven't had the chance to check any of them, yet. The bass I'm looking for would have to cost less than 800 EUR (which also includes, I would have to be able to find a dealer in Europe), even less is even better. It would have to be very deep sounding, not at all bright. It needs to provide a solid bassis for the band, so nothing flashy is required.
    I'm currently looking at the following basses:

Ibanez Artcore
    DiPinto Belvedere Standard
    Yamaha BEX BS signature
    Duesenberg Star bass

I'd love to hear some clips of the basses mentioned; I'd also be grateful for your kind replies.

Thanks in advance!
  2. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    try and find a used rob allen mb-2 4 string, or a rob allen mouse

those are your best bet/.
  3. hows about a JAZZ BASS? (I know its stating the obvious, but its what they were made for - I've got 3 they're so good, and my bass teacher (a weather report kind of guy) loves his fretless squier JV jazz...) :)
  4. 56p500w

Sep 16, 2005
    The Ibanez Artcore AGB40 with flats (Thomastik-Infeld, my choice) provides a great, smooth sound with excellent sustain, too. No fret noise as with round-wounds and the craftsmanship is excellent (tho made in China).
  5. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Precision bass with tape wounds would be my preference.

Or, ideally, a double bass (must . . . find . . . one . . . $1000 . . . or less . . . *twitch*)
  6. i personally prefer my fretless p bass with the La Bella flatwounds. its like an upright with that electric bite. :D