1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In need of reccomendations on a bass & amp

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OPIUM-PR, Sep 29, 2009.

1. OPIUM-PR

OPIUM-PR

Sep 15, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Hello. I'm new to talkbass.com, I registered here because I figured I could learn a lot of about my instrument and by God was I right. Recently I've been wanting to buy a new bass, I have a Washburn XB-100 and a Rogue 20 watt amp. I've been wanting to upgrade to better equips for awhile.

I read a thread here with this set of questions:

1) Metal, rock, alternative, jazz and funk.

2) I enjoy popping and slapping a lot, I mostly play fingerstyle though and if I joined a band I don't think I'd pop and slap a lot. Unless I solo'd :oops:.

3) Planning on buying new equips so I can join a band.

4) I have a budget of $1000. It's more like $500 but it's the money I'll have by December.

I've been thinking about getting a bass like this: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Jaguar-Electric-Bass-Guitar?sku=511959

but would this be a good bass to use if I played Rock? I'm not so sure anymore after reading around in the forum. If I don't get this bass, I really don't have the slightest clue of what bass to get. Set me straight guys, hit me with some knowledge. :bassist:

2. Steve!

Steve!

Nov 5, 2008
    The Jaguar is a good choice.

3. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Fender jazz bass works good in most of those genres , a MIM standard is 600$. Also sterling by musicman line features a sb14 and ray34 both great basses 600% and 680$ look into those. Amp wise not sure if you could pick up a used peavey bass amp they are great and cheap. I think GK makes some decent afforable amp combos and ampeg as well.

4. Flatty Banks

Flatty Banks

Oct 26, 2008
    California
    If I were you, I'd go for Ampeg + Fender. But I'm not you, and I don't care for either.

5. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    There is nothing wrong with using a Jaguar for rock or anything else if you can get the sound you want out of it.. The Jag is very versatile because of all the combinations of passive/active tone controls Series/paralel pickup switching and pickup selector switch . There is not a lot you can't get a Jag to do.

6. Steve!

Steve!

Nov 5, 2008
    Get a used amp

7. I think a new Gibson SG Bass would be good if you like a dark warm tone with a little growl. They sound nice through an ampeg amp with 4 ten inch speakers.

With the economy being what it is you have a loot of purchasing power. Meaning you have the advantage when it come to negotiating the price of the product your'e looking to acquire. If you have watched some of the leading guitar/bass manufacturers prices recently, many of their products have come down in price. Not all, but alot. That's a telling sign!

There is a termendous inventory accross the land. It's bloated as a matter of fact. Musical instruments a piling up. That's no secret.

Take your time and shop around. Use the internet as a fact finding tool.

For what is worth, I recently purchased a brand new Ricenbacker 4003 for $1,500.00 plus $30.00 shipping. Many dealers have been trying to get 1,935.00 for these basses. They are sitting on them. Believe me, they will come down in thier asking price. Many already have. Especially as thier inventory continues to grow and thier cash reserve deminishes.

So, it pays to shop around. ;)

Good luck! :hyper:

8. Go to the music store. Play all the stuff in there, even if you can't afford it. it will give you an idea of what you are looking for and what you might like. The kind of meat & potatoes choices are Fender J, Fender P. You can also get a really nice Ibanez for like 5 bills. Any decent bass will work for any style of music. With regard to your axe, carpenter > tool.
    If I were you I would spend my money on an amp. You could get a great bass and still not be able to play with anyone through that little practice amp you have. I would look for a good combo amp that puts out like 100 watts or a little more to get you going. That will be enough for you to be able to play loud enough to be heard when playing with a kit drummer.
    While the bass is certainly the sexier purchase of the two I'd recommend amp first.
    Heck, if you find a nice little combo, I'll sell you my MTD for $350 to help you out....seriously I'm not joking.

9. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    Personally id hit up craigslist for a Fender Jazz or Ibanez Soundgear. As far as an amp Id look into peavey or ampeg equipment for value and sound. Try to get a 4x10 cab and a head that has enough power to add another cab as your funding and needs grow.

10. OPIUM-PR

OPIUM-PR

Sep 15, 2009
    Puerto Rico

Brand new Rick...

$1500...

I do not comprehend.

@cgnor

I lost all faith in my local music store. They don't have any Fender Jazzes... they had this one bass: Jay Turser which they were trying to sell me for $250, the body was damaged, looked like it fell a little too much. That same day I went online, found the same bass for $200. Everything there looked overpriced (as far as I can remember) but it was a hell of an experience though. I loved playing that bass on GOOD amps.

also yeah, I agree with you. I have a friggin' 20 watt amp, and I'm here talking about buying a new bass? lol. I looked in musiciansfriend and thought about getting this amp: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B100-100W-1x15-Bass-Combo?sku=482900

It looks sexy. :oops:

11. OPIUM-PR

OPIUM-PR

Sep 15, 2009
    Puerto Rico
  12. Dunno, but any band you'll be looking to join probably needs you to have a "real" amp that will provide bass without PA.

So spend up on a rockin' amp first. 100w ain't exactly rock'n. Used gear will get you a lot more bang for buck.

13. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Given the dough you expect to have handy for gear, you really need to consider being a little patient and cruising the used market. With any luck, you'll be able to get yourself a setup that will keep you thumping for years.

The franken-jazz bass (composed of half-decent pieces 'n parts) that I use today turned up in a shop for $350 several years back. If I needed to go out today and replace it with something better (for me), I'd probably need to be ready to spend $1,000... and that might actually be on another used instrument. Great deals are out there, but you need to hit the bricks and see what you can find. No experience with those Jag basses, but you'd be smart to sit with one for a while to see how it fits you - heck, stand with it, too! (play it on a strap...)

Combos are an all-in-one sort of bundle. For comparison, you might look at getting a simple head like a GK 400 rb and a cab to make it bark. Maybe a 2x10, 1x15, 4x10 etc. that you can afford AND fit in your car. Avatar has some of the best bang for the buck in the cab world right now, but take a look around. I really like having the two components (head/cab) just because you can eventually change one or the other, but you might eventually add a second cab if you start out with just one. Also consider that a "smaller" head will often have more power than most combos.

14. OPIUM-PR

OPIUM-PR

Sep 15, 2009
    Puerto Rico