Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In need of Slap tone help...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Fevernova, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Fevernova

Fevernova

Jan 23, 2005
    Whenever I slap my Fender Jazz, I always end up getting a pretty thin tone, very bright and not bassy. I compare my sound with others, as well as the amp setup, and the equipment doesn't seem to be mistake. I'm starting to think it's my slapping technique... Can anybody help me here?

2. Try messing with the EQ on the amp (if you haven't done this already). If you don't get satisfactory results, I'd say to think about which type of strings you're using. If you still don't get the right sound, look into different pickups. If you STILL don't get the right sound... Well, learn to like your tone your getting. Either that or look into a new bass, but we'll just hope one of those suggestions I gave previously works. :)

3. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    It may be as simple as changing the pickup selection or tone or whatever settings on your bass, if you haven't tried that. For me, I generally need to add a little more bass, or change the pickup balance to be more towards the neck, depending on the bass.

4. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Try hitting the string as hard as you can. C'mon they're bass string, so they're not going to break. Usually, if I hit them too light, they sound thinner. But when slammin' them they become fuller. Play as close to the neck too (maybe ever slightly over the fretboard.) New strings would help.

5. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Get a Lakland 55-02 Deluxe......it kisks ass...I'd give up my SR5 for one...

6. Heheh, you'll kill your strings really fast that way, trust me. It's much better to turn your volume up and play lighter. You'll want a nice, low action to get slapping working for you when your play lightly, of course.

7. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Your action might be higher than it has to be. I find low action makes the slap tone much better.

8. bass samurai

bass samurai Guest

Jul 7, 2003
    Try different approaches to slapping until you find the tone you're after. For example Victor Wooten's slap technique is very different from Marcus Miller's and they have completely different slap tones.

9. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    When you slap, its really important that your thumb doesn't remain in contact with the string after you've thumped the note, or else you'll mute it! You'll get lots of bright attack from nailing the frets, but no bloom. Maybe that is part of your problem? Just Guessing. Your thumb needs to "bounce" off of the string.

EDIT: sometimes that muted thump is what you are looking for! But it sounds like you want to hear some bloom ...

If there is a teacher in your area (or an experienced friend) you could probably go through the technique in one lesson and see if they can spot anything.