Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In Need of Some Raunch

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass-shy, Jun 11, 2005.

1. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I am looking for the nastiest, raunchiest distortion box on the planet. I don't want to use it as a slight overdrive, I want way over the top drive. My only criteria are: must be true bypass, must have an AC in jack, must have a level control and it must be able to retain note definition (blend control?). I know this sounds picky, but this is what I want. After readind the Distortion Mega Thread, I decided I needed more. I am currently using a SABBDI to add a little grit, but it doesn't go over the top enough. I've checked out a few in shops and I used to own a Boss ODB-3 and Big Muff (Russian) and neither of them did it for me. I would like to stay under the $200.00 mark and, other than that, I'm not too finicky. Thanks in advance.

P.S. In my search, I have discovered the HAO Rust Ride. Is this what I'm looking for?

2. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    I think retaining note definition and having the nastiest, raunchiest distortion contradict each other, but I’m sure you’ll find something. I actually feel that the fulltone bass driver might just be what you are looking for. It’s true bypass and can actually get really nasty if you go all out.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Fulltone won't cut it. It remains a tubey overdrive even on extreme settings.
    I think you're looking for a Prescription Electronics depth Charge.
    It's true bypass, has blend, tone control and gain.
    basically a thick, ultra aggressive fuzz with upper octave harmonics;
    [​IMG]
    List price is 250 so you should be able to get it under 200.

4. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    How is the Depth Charge at keeping lows intact?

5. Jazz Ad

It adds lows. A lot of lows.
    Don't expect to find back your original tone other than by blending though. It's a fuzz.

6. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Sweet. I'll have to check one of those out. Thanks for the recommendation. Are there any others worth looking into?

7. Jazz Ad

I got this little bastage a few weeks ago and i love it.
    It's the poor man Depth charge. :)
    [​IMG]

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
  9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I love my Depth Charge, but it has already been mentioned so I'll not clutter the thread

If you have the dime you should try a BJF Blueberry. It adds lows in extreme settings and it very powerful sounding. Also in that range; ZVEX Woolley Mammoth, Frantone LoTone, and the Effector 13 Improbability Drive.

If you purchase from Musictoyz.com you get 5 days to test and see if you enjoy the pedal. That would be a good way to try all these effects.

10. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    oh geezus that sounds awesome

but there are no dealers anywhere near me :scowl:

11. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Thats sounds nasty!! wow...I know what pedal I'm getting next.

BTW, as mentioned the Fulltone bass-drive is an awesome overdrive pedal, I use one and love it. But I dont think its a raunchy as what your looking for. Its warm & organic sounding...very tube like. It can get harsh if you push it all the way, but it will probably leave you wanting more.

12. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    jacques tubeblower