Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

in need of suggestions for my rhythm section

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by Golemanjazz27, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Golemanjazz27

Golemanjazz27

Jan 15, 2006
    Miami Lakes
    I'm in high school and we have an evaluation coming up. However, our latin chart is having trouble locking in because our drummer isn't very familiar with salsa drum grooves. I need suggetions for some possible grooves she might work with, one pattern that works for 2/3 clave and one that works for 3/2 clave because the clave switches in the middle of the song.

2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I sat in on a latin percussion workshop once while my concert band was at a festival (since there was no faculty giving workshops for bass and I didn't want to go to the low brass one).

Anyway... is this on drumset you're referring to? If it is drumset backing a stage band, there are many things you can do, but the key is to learn the clave from where it starts: the clave! Just that rhythm. Then learn what the bells ("cow"bells in terms that may be used outside of latin music circles) do rhythmically, and finally extra things like timbale patterns and other.

If on the other hand you have the percussionist doing aux perc/actually playing latin instruments, then it's much easier.

3. Golemanjazz27

Golemanjazz27

Jan 15, 2006
    Miami Lakes
    yeah i'm referring to drumset in a big band setting. To be more specific the main confusion is what to do with the bass drum and the snare. Iwas thinking just rim tapping the clave pattern but I'm not sure.

4. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Generic answer - bass drum should play 1 +3 +. That is, dotted quarter, eighth, dotted quarter, eighth.

Ride cymbal should be doing either straight eights or 1 2+3 4+. Hi hat on 2 and 4.

You were right to think of a cross stick (or "rim tap" or "rim shot"). Play the clave pattern there on the snare. I'd reccommend doing it with the snare off, since a snare drum likely doesn't fit the style if you're playing "traditional" salsa.

If you have a percussionist playing the clave rhythm, you can use the snare for chatter, playing the role of timbale.

Usually, when I think salsa, I think rather uptempo. If so, bass drum and hi hat do the same thing (these two, btw, are the most important pieces of any latin groove - everything else is just color). Snare plays 1 2 (3)+(4)+(1)+(2) 3 4 (a two measure pattern). Ride plays something to compliment this (anything from quarter notes to a direct mirror of the snare pattern). You might also try a groove with the default bass drum/hi hat pattern and a pattern with a rim shot (gok, not a cross stick) on the floor tom on beat 3.

Hopefully that gets you started. Remember, latin is all in the eighth notes. You can actually play a solid latin beat just playing groovy eighths on the hi hat if you want, but most drummers are interested in a few more notes to play... lol...