1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In neverending search for tone...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by parmezans, Jun 26, 2012.

1. parmezans

parmezans

Nov 25, 2011

How?! How to achieve this? The info I got- he uses a Q-tron just a bit, has Rotosound steels 45-105 and a MIM Jazz bass.
    (To all you MIM haters out there)
    Now, he says his action is really low. Might it be the buzzing that's giving that tone that special thing?
    Because I can't set my Squier so ALL the frets buzz equally, unfortunately. IT's either the first 5 or 12+ .

2. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    it's not as complicated as you think ....grab a jazz style bass - medium string gauge - roll up both pups all the way and get at it!

compression may be what you are missing ...you gotta have a comp pedal for that sort of thing!

3. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    It might be slap technique. It shouldn't be difficult for the bass to get that tone if you got his same setting but the thing which most people disregard when searching for a tone is their own technique.

4. parmezans

parmezans

Nov 25, 2011
    Whatever I do, I can't replicate it. I know his strings, his EQ setup...
    So, the only thing left is the action. His is low, he says it. But is it so low that all the frets buzz a bit, equally?

5. LayDownABoogie

LayDownABoogie

Jan 3, 2012
    Yuck

6. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Maybe it's his experience?
    The thing about tone, if you think about it you are not hearing what he is hearing.
    He is hearing an amp and cab, you are listening to a recording, if like me, through a set of desktop speakers that has been compressed and the eventual quality depends on the bit rate it was uploaded with......never mind the bit rate your systems music player is using.

Watch the video, learn the notes and the technique and make it your own.
    As a pro player and ex studio player, i believe i can improve on every take offered to me when recording, it takes a producer to say that is good enough.....never me.
    So if like me, maybe davie504 in the video is more interested in people learning the techniques rather than copy any tone that people may hear.:bassist:

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

His tone sounds pretty generic with some high end attack added to it, his low action helps it from digging in too deep but fret buzz is not causing anybody to think anything sounds good...