1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

In Over My Head ??

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by newmusicmichael, Oct 9, 2013.

1. That poll about best/worst in a band just reminded me of my current situation. Been playing for a couple years, started with lessons, moved on to be part of a jam, but that's getting a little stale and too comfortable now, so been looking around.

Ended up hooking up with this guy:
    http://vimeo.com/14299983

First practice is tomorrow night. Sort of figured I'd move towards an originals band at some point. Doesn't really have bass written, more freeform and see what works. Told him I've never really written for bass before (though truth is I have put a few songs together just for the bass, need to work on other pieces). Never been in an originals band. Never gigged. Never recorded. And I definitely wouldn't even consider myself a 'good' bassist yet. "Moderately competent at some songs" is perhaps what I'd classify myself as.

So like I said, I may be in completely over my head. On the other hand, sometimes that's the best way to be challenged and grow, too. So I'm gonna give it a whirl and see what happens.

Any tips ???

2. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Show up to rehearsals. Work your butt off. Have fun with it. Do your best. See what happens.

You will grow a LOT when you're stretched to do things you can't do (yet).

3. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    If you enjoy the music and it motivates you, getting in over your head--well, at least up to your chin--can be a very good thing. And pay close attention to backin82's advice.

4. Don't feel pressure to overplay. Just like if you were in water over your head, you wouldn't start going through your synchronized swimming routine unless you were comfortable doing it. So take a deep breath, listen to what else is being played, and play something. It doesn't have to be Victor Wooten, just something in time and in key.

5. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    Sounds like some real boring self-indulgent singer-songwriter crapola to me but if you like it, go for it. Is that Banner Elk, NC? I used to live nearby in Newland. Beautiful part of the country and full of pickers playing more fun music than this guy.

6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe SUSPENDED

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    No, not over your head. But may I suggest you find a gig with a real musician. What I heard sounded like wanking to me, and I'd be VERY hard pressed to come up with anything on the bass that would improve it. I don't see much potential for personal or musical growth here.

7. I agree.
    That sounds like a really boring tedious gig for a bassist.
    Unless you really LOVE his music, move on and find a band.

8. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    wow.

I watched that video, and while I'm not a huge fan o that type o music..whatchin the video was scary as heck.. kinda reminded me of some creepy A$$ backwoods horror/slasher film.... :)

annnnd, as far as your dilemma..I actually have no useable advice for you..other than what the others have said.

But I wish you well.

9. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention, that..sometimes , when we find ourselves in over our heads, we need only stand up, and then we find that things were not as they seemed.

ymmv