1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

In over my head

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by zenofanger, Aug 29, 2018.

1. zenofanger

zenofanger

Dec 6, 2016
    Indiana
    I have a band audition this Saturday with a 5 song set list to learn. I've spent the last 2 days learning the songs but I don't feel ready. Some of the songs were pretty easy to pick up but im really struggling with 2 of them. One is because im using a 5 string instead of going into drop D and the other is just really complex compared to what im used to.

The guys seem pretty laid back about it and I don't expect to blow them away but im afraid I won't have have the material down in time. I haven't played with others in a few years now.

Any tricks and tips from you guys to help me learn the material a little better.

2. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Listen to the stuff every chance you get between now and then, practice the tunes a bunch more, and relax, you've still got time.

If the drop d thing is making your life difficult why not just tune that way? You could do it on your 5 string if that's all you have, it won't hurt anything, just change your fingering to make your life easier.

Finally there is no shame in charts, if you need em make em.

unbridled, Remoman, hambonie and 5 others like this.
  3. zenofanger

zenofanger

Dec 6, 2016
    Indiana
    I have a chart poster that I've been using. Its helped a lot in covering the song, just a pain that I don't have a quality tab source.been using ultimate guitar but its only got 2 versions and neither any good. I've been comparing them to YouTube covers and made a little leeway but just enough to know that the chorus is tabbed wrong.

The song is
    Doing time - avenge seven fold

4. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    This guys seems to have it down, I use these kinda things all the time just watching other people's fingering

If it were me I'd make a chart with the chord changes and little notes to myself like "descending fill" and "chromatic riff" for sections that have specific figures to play.

unbridled, hrodbert696, JRA and 4 others like this.
  5. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Do you know if the band is expecting a strict note-for-note cover? If not, then nail the groove and feel of the song and worry about the details later.

6. zenofanger

zenofanger

Dec 6, 2016
    Indiana
    Haha that's actually the video I've been watching. I know if I shift everything on the B string down 3 frets it puts me into drop D. And watching his fingers through the chorus and adding the shift to my playing has helped. Just wish I could slow it down a bit.

The other song wasn't as bad as I thought. I cut the fills out and just ran with the basic groove and it didn't sound too terrible..

hrodbert696, danesdad and Reedt2000 like this.
  7. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    My advice is forget tabs and YouTube covers unless you’re really really stuck on a part. Play along with the original recording. It makes you use your ears the most. You will also remember better having figured it out for yourself. Sort the songs into green brown red. Got it, still needs practice, needs lots of practice.

Put in lots of time. Three hours a day is nice.

Then relax because you’ve tried your best and either it’s a good fit or it isn’t. Even if you’re not 100% there if they see you put in a lot of hard work, it goes a long way. Keep up that work ethic and you’ll be an ace in no time!

8. BossOnBass

BossOnBass

Aug 11, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Are you struggling to learn the notes or to play the notes accurately at the song's normal tempo? Here's what I do.

Slowing the song down can make it easier to figure out the notes. I use an app called the amazing slow downer to slow song's down.

Try playing the song against a metronome at the tempo your comfortable with to get better with it and to play more cleanly. Record yourself to hear your mistakes. Increase the tempo of the metronome when ready. If there are just too many notes too fast try omitting the less important notes.

THUNDERGODX, Gearhead17 and Reedt2000 like this.
  9. thekyle55

thekyle55

Mar 14, 2012
    Maybe it would be simpler to drop your e string a step and ignore the b string.

Christopher DBG, pcake and Gearhead17 like this.
  10. sker

sker

Jun 19, 2016
    You can slow it down to 75 or even 50% or less- look for the little gear icon at the bottom of the screen click on it and select speed. I've figured out many a song just watching the fingerings in slow mo.

hambonie and HolmeBass like this.
  11. TheBear

TheBear Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I’ve found the way that I learn songs Best is as follows:

1. Listen to the song once without a bass in my hand just to get familiar with the song’s key (and any key changes), structure, special stops or breakdowns, etc.

2. Play the song (roughly) once or twice through with a bass, not focusing necessarily on getting the notes perfect but absolutely drilling the groove and vibe into my brain.

3. Make my charts and listen to the song as many times as is necessary to make detailed enough charts for my use (usually I make Numbers charts but I’ve developed my own sort of “language” to add into it to give me cues).

4. Play the song AT LEAST eight times in a row, working hard to get away from referring to the charts at all.

5. Learn the lyrics and, if necessary, basic guitar parts...the idea being that the more parts of a song I know the less likely it is I’ll come across a section of a song and be lost because I don’t know what’s happening on at least one instrument in the mix.

Another thing I try to do (which serves me more often than not) is to just be confident and relaxed. Even if I miss a note here or a walk there, I sort of figure that most musicians can learn songs given enough time and practice with a group BUT the musicians that get the gig are the ones that the band wants to hang with on and off stage.

12. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I would get comfortable on the 5 string if this is the kind of stuff you'll be playing. I am not sure about the 3 fret shift though. I think it would be 2 unless I am misunderstanding something.

13. This may sound funny, but the fact that you care about it and you are doing the best you can will get you through....mark my words.....you will nail that audition!! Good luck man!

danesdad, braindead0 and corndog like this.
  14. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Do you have a second bass as well as your 5 string?

If you do, tune that to Drop D, and take it along. If not, then take your time with that song, maybe write out the tab for your 5 string. Likewise the other song you're having trouble with.

Enjoy the audition & good luck! :)

15. KansasCityBassDude

KansasCityBassDude

May 31, 2015
    A lot of good advice here. I would say a couple things:

1. Don't be as concerned about note for note perfection. Most bands are wanting to see if you "fit" with them more than if you play songs perfectly note for note.
    2. Be more concerned with the feel of the harder songs at first and slowly work towards improving it.
    3. Don't obsess over it. Sometimes you make things worse by working at something too much. Your brain needs a break sometimes. Sometimes I work and work at something and get frustrated. Then, I walk away from it and don't think about it. A day later I put my bass on and all of a sudden I've got it.

16. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Third fret of B string is D

17. I play a fiver and I have no problem dropping the E string to D and treating it like a four string.

whero, MDBass, Barticus and 2 others like this.
  18. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    On a different note, so to speak: Have you heard these guys play? Do you know anything about them, other than whatever they said in a craigslist ad or something? The reason I ask is that unless you know otherwise, it's entirely possible that they aren't nearly as good as you're probably imagining -- so even if you don't think you've got these parts nailed, you might well show up and discover that you know the songs better than they do.

Of course, you should keep working at it and learn the songs as well as you can, but keeping that perspective in mind might help you feel a little less anxious about it. Remember that an audition is a two-way street: You will be evaluating them and deciding if they are a good fit for you, not just the reverse.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

19. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    This.

20. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Break each song down into parts/riffs, and learn it a piece at a time.

Most of the time, grooving with the drummer is the most important thing. If you don't have every note perfect, but mesh with the band, they will notice the positive. Have every note down, but stick out, and they will notice it.