1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In Philly Mon & Tues - what to do?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JMacBass65, Oct 5, 2013.

1. I'll be on business travel in Philly Monday and Tuesday, I might have some free time, not sure. If I do, where can I catch some decent live music? And cool music stores, pawn shops or what have you to check out? Anything else I am not thinking of?

Thanks in advance!

2. Cool, thanks!

3. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
  4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Other things to do:

Get a cheese steak
    Check out the Liberty Bell, Independance Hall, Betsy Ross house, Ben Franklin's house, Eastern State Penn

5. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    For sure the Liberty Bell is closed along with the rest of the federal government. Eastern State is (IIRC) a private company. Donno about the other landmarks for sure, but I'd make some inquiries before making the trip.

6. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    If you're into vinyl (aka records), check out Beautiful World Syndicate on Passyunk. GREAT RECORDS! They're also a few blocks from some of the more renowned Cheesesteak stands. But on that front, check out Tony Luke's on Oregon if you can. And try the Philly Italian roast pork. For my money it's way better than a cheesesteak!

7. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    The pawn shop at 645 South St. and around the corner Bluebond guitars, 511 S 4th St.

8. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Ah yes...I forgot about that.

9. Great stuff, thanks everyone. Had no time today, but will have some tomorrow, and staying an extra day, so I got time Wed too. Will be checking out some of these, for sure!

10. Was able to check out City Hall as well as the Art Museum and surrounding park. Probably walked around for nearly three hours, time well spent.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Great place...known for their veal cutlet sandwich.

Nick's on 20th & Jackson.
    Roast Beef (excellent!), Turkey, & Roast Pork on round Italian rolls. Ask for it "outside & overboard".

Also, the Philadelphia Pretzel Factory-
    3rd & Oregon

12. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    Its too late for the OP since it's wednesday but for anyone ever going to philly, food wise, aside from obviously Tony Luke's and the Pretzel factory, i'd reccomend the lesser known Texas Wieners on Snyder Avenue.

I'm not a resident but my gf spends half the year in Philly so i go there a lot.

13. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    If on Snyder Ave. also go to Front & Snyder to John's Roast Pork...yum goodie

14. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Eh..the liberty bell is broken anyway. ;)

15. What a beautiful city!

I ended up staying Tuesday night and had a couple of hours this morning to explore. Went to see the Liberty Bell (building closed but could see it through the window), Independence Hall, and the surrounding areas in the Old City. Could have spent the entire there.

Never made it to any live music, music or pawn shops, which was the original intent of my post! Was too busy checking out the city itself. I'll be returning for sure, lots more to check out.

Tony Luke's sounded like just my kinda place, planned to hit it on the way out, but I was running behind and had to pass. Next time!