In Praise of a Tiny Amp - Yamaha THR10C

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by the federalist, Jul 10, 2020.

1. the federalist

the federalist I think about basses a lot. Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2014
    For those of you wanting a small amp for a bedroom, for travel, or for any location without a power outlet, consider the Yamaha THR10C. Yes, it's a guitar amp, but so what. If you want or need an amp this small, it doesn't matter what it's called.

IMG_20200710_204120.jpg IMG_20200710_204209.jpg

I've tested a few small, portable amps and this is the best of the lot sonically. One of the amp options is "Bass", and the sound is surprisingly deep and full. The effects are unremarkable, but there if you want them. Build quality is first rate, as you expect from Yamaha.

One of the best features on this amp is that you can adjust the volume on the aux input independently from your instrument. Very few amps have this feature, which is handy. Also the music is in stereo if that matters to you.

Very nice size and weight: 14" x 7" x 6", 6.3 lbs. I can easily pack the Yamaha in carry-on luggage.

Apparently you can connect the amp to your computer and download tones from a Yamaha website but I've never tried.

I have and really like a Roland MicroCube Bass. But the Roland is a lot bigger (12" x 12" x 8") and heavier (15 lbs). Also the Yamaha is 18 watts and the Roland is 5 watts, (although from a practical standpoint volume is the same.) Both have an option to use batteries.

Alas, this amp is discontinued. They come up regularly used at GC for $200 +/-, and sell quickly. If you're in the market for this type of amp, they're worth it.

tindrum and Guild B301 like this.
  2. tindrum

tindrum Supporting Member

May 2, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    I play thru one late at night sitting on the couch. While it’s a guitar amp, and a GREAT one at that, on the bass setting it sounds pretty darn good.

the federalist likes this.
  3. DeltaDelta

DeltaDelta

Feb 17, 2018
    Italy
    Yamaha is definitely underrated.
    How is the audio quality on flat settings through the Aux in? How do you think it would fare as a music player?I'm actually more interested in that than the guitar amp per se...

4. the federalist

Aug 10, 2014
    Relative to other units of this size, I find the audio quality pleasing and certainly acceptable for casual listening. I often use it to listen to music through my laptop. It's clearly superior to the laptop in sound quality and much louder.

Note that tone settings can't be adjusted for music through the aux in. You have to adjust tone at the source.

The one drawback to the Yamaha for playing music is that it doesn't have Bluetooth capabilities. I suppose an inexpensive Bluetooth connector is available on Amazon or wherever.

DeltaDelta likes this.
  5. DeltaDelta

DeltaDelta

Feb 17, 2018
    Italy
    Thanks for the reply.Lack of Bluetooth isn't an issue for me.
    Was just wondering if this unit would be justified mainly as a player/ portable speaker which also doubles as a small practice amp.

6. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Another option would be the PJ Double 4. A bit more expensive, but I have used mine with a cheap FM receiver as a radio for the wife and it sounds great. Also has a level for the Aux In.

DeltaDelta likes this.
  7. the federalist

Aug 10, 2014
    Good suggestion! More power, too, if that's a consideration.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021