Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In praise of Avatar...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Feb 21, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I picked up an Avatar b410 cab last weekend. I needed another 4x10 cab to round out my rig (SWR SM-900 and Goliath III) and I figured for $200 (gently used) I couldn't go wrong until I could afford a second Goliath. The tweeter didn't work, but it sounded decent and I figured if one tweeter could carry the SWR Megoliath, one would work for me, too.

Turned out that the tweeter had been simply disconnected (thanks to all who offered advice in my previous thread on this). Reattached, I gotta say that this is one tremendous bang-for-the-buck cabinet.

No, it doesn't sound as good as the Goliath, but it's less than half the price, new! I would venture to say that two b410s probably sound better than a single Goliath, and would still be a tad bit cheaper! I compared the Avatar to a Peavey 4x10 cab at my rehearsal space, and the Avatar flat blew it away, with better clarity and definition.

I still plan to replace the Avatar with a second Goliath, but I'm not in a big hurry anymore.

I wish Avatar cabs were available back when I was on a more limited budget. I think any player on a budget could do far worse than to pick up one of these cabs!

:D

2. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    Gotta second that!!!
    I got my cabs last week from Dave and you cant beat em for the price. In fact i sold a brand new Eden 210XLT and got enough to buy one B210 and an empty B115 which i loaded with an old Black Widow 18. Although Daves 210 doesnt have quite the bottom of the Eden i prefer its overall sound. And coupled with the 18 I have 3 times the sound.:D

3. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    yet another satisfied Avatar user...hmmm...maybe they're decent!:D

donkey: you've got good ear plugs, right?;)

4. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    ..yeah, I agree...they are decent.

I wouldn't sell my Eden for them, though (JMHO).:)

5. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    "I wouldn't sell my Eden for them, though (JMHO)."

Well i sorta had to sell the Eden cause i switched heads from stero to mono and couldnt use the 4 ohm Eden any more with my 18. I could of traded it for an older 8 ohmer but i wanted new. Another big deciding factor was the weight... the Avatar 210 is almost 20 lbs lighter.

6. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    That's cool...I can understand wanting a lighter cab and going new instead of used (I'm leary of buying used cabs also).

If the sound works for you...great! But in my experience (I have both cabs), the Avatars have very little low end.

I still think the Avatars are a good value, tho.

:)

BTB

7. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    Before i packed the Eden up to ship off, i did a lttle bit of A/Bing with both 210s. When used alone, the Avatar came up a little short on the bottom, not a whole lot IMO, but it was somewhat thinner. when i stacked each one on top off the 18 however, i could'nt tell the difference. Now admittedly, this was in my house and not on a gig but i had it cranked pretty good and as the top half of a rig i think the Avatar rocks.
    One other point of comparison Id like to make is customer service. With Dave at Avatar it seems like yuor pretty much dealing with one person only and he seems very committed to taking care of every little problem. Emails are answered almost immediately and he genuinely seems to care. In contrast, i had some problems with my Nemesis last year (in Nov. before Edens buy out business started)and i called and left messages and emailed and to this day i have yet to receive a reply. Im now out of warranty and that experience left a bit of bitter taste in my mouth towards Eden.

8. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I just picked up the bass about 4 months ago and bought a harkte 3500 head along with an avatar 2x10 bass cab. man i simply LOVE the sound im getting from this rig, and it didnt cost me an arm an a leg. Soon i plan on upgrading to a full stack with a 1X15 to add some bottom end.

hail avatar.

9. ttyR2

ttyR2

Feb 23, 2003
    Athena, OR
    So what about the Avatar's make them not sound quite as nice as the other units listed? Drivers? Cabinet construction? (I'm probably going to buy a B410 and B115.)

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you know, i was thinking that my avatar b112 sounded 'good' until today. i have mostly paired it with my bh260 instead of my rack for transport reasons, and it has always sounded darn good with my upright but a little lacking on electric.

today i did a comparision with my rack, my bh260, and the avatar. and yes my rack sounds a whole lot nicer than the bh260, but what surprised me was how unbelievably cres the avatar+rack combo sounded. clear, punchy, loud, and it even sounded good down to low low A at respectable volumes.

i can't wait to pick up another one!!!

11. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Bi-amp and put a subwoofer under it; very nice indeed.

12. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Hey guys,

in case you didn't know...Dave sometimes sells his cabs on ebay and, if you're lucky in bidding, you can save a few dollars on them. I just got a B212 this way and saved a little over $25.

Of course, they're already affordable to begin with.

13. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington