1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

In praise of CBD Oil

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ironbar, Sep 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ironbar

Ironbar

Aug 24, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    OK, so I thought I'd post up some info here for anyone else who might be having some chronic body issues that may be helped by CBD oil.

For many years now I've had chronic pain. It just comes with getting older I guess. Recently, due to the nature of my work, I decided to take a radical step and seek out something other than over-the-counter pain meds. I got tired of taking them, and I was also worried about how they be affecting my body in the long term.

Here in Oregon we of course legalized recreational marijuana. With that industry, all things hemp came along with it including CBD oil. As I found through many trips to the web, CBD can be used to treat a variety of ailments, including chronic pain. So I decided to give it a shot.

I went to a local dispensary, hit up one of the nice sales persons there, and she turned me on to all things CBD. It comes in a variety of forms including tinctures, topical rubs, and even edible candy. She explained that the highest concentrations are found in the tinctures so I decided to go with that.

It is not cheap. It cost me about $50 for a one once dropper bottle. But as I stated, I was looking for something radical.

Now, I'm not claiming that this is some sort of miracle medicine, but I am having success with it. I take about a dropper-full, twice daily, and this is what I've found:

I have less pain overall, and have better, more restful sleep. I am able to walk around barefoot without terrible pain for the first time in a long time. It has NOT done anything for my chronic elbow pain, but that comes from my very physical job. And finally, it had one unexpected but VERY welcome effect on me- it stopped my hand tremors!

Ever since a gym accident in 2011 when I tore a muscle in my upper back, I've had issues with tremors and twitching in my right hand. From DAY ONE when I first started the CBD, the tremors ceased! I've been able to play bass without biffing notes due to right hand twitching for the first time ever.

So, to sum up, the CBD has had a moderate but noticeable effect on my chronic pain, and a dramatic effect on the hand tremors. I just ordered some more online directly from the manufacturer, and I'm hoping that with some lifestyle changes, I'll get even more relief.

2. I've been using cannabis topically for muscle spasms due to back injury/surgeries. I haven't had a single spasm in years. It really does work, and much better than flexeril or benzos.

My brother just got his card last week and is trying CBD for ulcerative colitis. Still too early to tell if it's working or not, but hopefully I can post any changes or benefits.

If you can obtain raw plant material it's super easy to make topicals. I'm sure there are tons of recipes online, but coconut oil and cocoa butter make for a great topical. Best of luck! I look forward to the day when more serious research leads to insurance subsidies and higher quality products.

From one chronic pain patient to another, I wish you all the best. Waking up in the middle of the night in agony sucks, and opiates have plenty of downsides, plus nowadays the hospitals are doing a 180 on policy and getting everyone off everything.

tangentmusic and GKon like this.
  3. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Did I read this right ~ $50 for a one shot dropper, that you need to do 2 of per day .. as in $100 per day??

Know how many milligrams the $50 tincture contains?

I've used plenty of products up here in WA (& elsewhere :laugh: ), just never the straight up CBD. I've got a lot of getting older pains, too!

TOOL460002 likes this.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    CBD's were a storyline on Ballers for a few weeks.

-Mike

5. Ya that's why I always advocate for folks to make their own. It's beyond easy. Buying that stuff from stores is a ripoff, at least here in California.

jchrisk1 likes this.
  6. I think he meant an ounce of cbd oil in a small dropper style bottle, but hey, maybe I'm wrong.

As someone who also has UC, there has been one time that I really noticed a flare up being eased by marijuana. It was a year before being diagnosed and had I flown out to California for a wedding when I was hit by what I'd later find out was a UC flare up. Stomach pains, diarrhea, non-existent appetite, the whole shabang. At one point we went out to eat out in Bodega Bay which I was super excited for since I hadn't had real good sea food in awhile, but when we got there I was completely unable to eat anything. Afterwards a friend just happened to have some special high cbd weed and smoked a bowl with me, and the relief was nearly instant. The pain and cramping had miraculously disappeared and I began ravenously devouring all food in my path. It wasn't until fairly recently that I really thought about this again and look forward to trying cbd again in the future.

TOOL460002 likes this.
  7. So smoking it was the best form? Right now my brother is trying liquid cartridges to vaporize, but I've also heard edibles are good for GI issues. Have you tried both? I don't have UC but I want the best for my brother (of course I love the poopie out of him and want him to feel as best he can). Any experience is more info than we have with this specific application so please do tell. Thanks!

jchrisk1 likes this.
  8. While I do hope to test it out more at some point, when my story happened it was before I knew anything about or even that I had UC. Also the high cbd bud my friend had was just a coincidence and I wasn't smoking it expecting it to help my situation at all, I was simply looking to get a good stony buzz since I was back in California from Texas. From what I've read use of cbd's can be kinda hit or miss in UC patients, but I say hell, why not give it a shot. In at least that one circumstance it helped me greatly. I hope it helps your brother and I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but please do keep us informed!

TOOL460002 likes this.
  9. Ironbar

Ironbar

Aug 24, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Negative. It's a one ounce bottle of CBD oil with a dropper, like eye drops. One dropper full, 2x daily. One bottle lasts about a month.

p-199-PAINBlend_zps8ixr25op.

catcauphonic likes this.
  10. Ironbar

Ironbar

Aug 24, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    CBD oil is non-psychoactive. You don't get high from using it. It's made from the hemp plant which has only trace amounts of THC. Here's some good info about it:

What is CBD Hemp Oil? | Medical Marijuana Inc.

DiabolusInMusic, TOOL460002 and GKon like this.
  11. tzohn

tzohn Guest

Apr 26, 2015
    18b9049a8e2da693c039bba614a3b01f.

maxmaroon and Ironbar like this.
  12. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    The first time it was offered to me I was wondering "why on earth would I want the non-psychoactive effects of cannabis?". Imagine my surprise when it turned out I really enjoy the non-psychoactive effects of cannabis! I take two 15mg capsules during work days. I use it primarily as a relaxant but it has decreased my ibuprofen use to nearly zero.

There does seem to a wide rift between people it helps and those who gain no benefit. Some people feel no effects at all while some love it.

13. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    It will be interesting when real scientists study this stuff.

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Agreed.

(I typed something longer that danced along the lines of politics so I deleted it.)

I'll just leave it at this. If you guys, or your loved ones, are getting relief and not hurting yourselves, I'm all for it. Glad you found something that works.

And @Ironbar the hand thing as an unexpected benefit is pretty sweet. That's incredible and I hope it continues to work.

Ironbar likes this.
  15. Not trying to sound argumentative (especially in this thread), but I don't know a single person who makes CBD oil with hemp. It's always cannabis but with high CBD and mostly low THC but there are strains with enough THC to feel it for sure, especially if concentrates into oil. So while it's possible that some CBD oil is made from hemp I would imagine almost all of it is made from cannabis.

Why? They're both federally illegal. Also, while laws are different all over and cases may vary, by the letter of the law, you may face state charges for growing hemp and none for growing cannabis. The risk/reward factor dictates that cannabis will be the go-to of the two plants.

Also, people generally care less, if at all, about hemp genetics. They care a lot about cannabis genetics. So if you have the land, the sun, the soil, and the labor to grow either, the benefits right now (legal and otherwise) are all in favor of cannabis.

16. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Hemp containing less than 0.3% THC (e.g. Charlotte's Web) is classified as industrial hemp and ships legally to all 50 states. While CBD/THC products of varying ratios are popular amongst the medical crowd, the future lies in the "pure CBD" (<0.3% THC) side of things.

TOOL460002 likes this.
  17. Ships legally, but I thought it ships from mostly Canada. Am I wrong here? I remember hearing about a company that has hemp protein products that has to source them from Canada because of the state of the laws here. Maybe it's changed? Hope so.

18. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Charlotte's Web Hemp Extract Oil Dietary Supplement: CW™ Hemp

TOOL460002 likes this.
  19. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

CBD strains are mostly an American thing. They are beginning to spread elsewhere, like Canada, but most Canadian marijuana products stay north of the 49th parallel these days.

TOOL460002 likes this.
  20. But even hemp? Heard Canada exports a lot cuz lots of states cant.