1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In praise of green pearl pickguards - they're not for everyone but I love 'em

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Sep 23, 2020.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    So I'll be picking up this bass soon. It's basically a Warmoth P-bass that I had professionally assembled by Andrew Drake of Drake Custom Bass in Nevada, Iowa. Andrew has done a ton of work for me and made a couple custom basses as well. He's simply awesome at everything he does.

The original plan for this one was a double reverse P (ala Lee Sklar Frankenbass), but... that project's costs were adding up in a hurry and I started to have doubts about how it would look with a pickguard, given the original P-Bass rout being there. (Also, I've pursued this idea twice in the past - both here and here - both times it was pretty awesome, and in both cases, I ended up selling the basses; not sure why, just my fickle nature, I guess.)

In any case, Andrew and I determined that this one would be better off as a regular P. Even though I don't need an extra P, why not? Here are the specs:

-Warmoth alder body in olympic white with a slight tint, so more of a taupe color
    -Warmoth roasted maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, cream dot inlays, and vintage spec stainless steel frets
    -All nickel hardware: Gotoh Res-o-Lite tuners, Hipshot Kickass bridge, Dunlop straplocks
    -Lindy Fralin 5% overwound pickup with cream covers
    -Custom cut 4-play green pearl pickguard (I bought the material, and Andrew shaped and cut it for me)
    -Dogal "Jaco" strings made in Italy
    -Black aluminum knobs ala Sadowsky-style (I may replace these with nickel as they don't currently match but they're great knobs)

What I really want to know is - how do you like (or not like) that pickguard? Lol. I don't know what possessed me to go with green pearl. I was browsing some old Soviet and Czech made basses from the 70s and 80s and a lot of them had hideous green pearl pickguards so this is my nod to that style. Though I will say it definitely looks better on Olympic white than it does on say, sunburst, haha.

Green guard P 1.jpg Green guard P 2.jpg Green guard P 3.jpg Green guard P 4.jpg

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I like it better than black or white or tort, etc...especially with the cream pickups.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    Pdaddy1978 and TimBosby like this.
  3. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I dig it! Looks pretty unique with what you got there. Rock it man!

4. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Thanks guys! Body came from @rmayer and neck came from @ajschnitzelbank - tagging you guys in case you wondered how this turned out (not exactly as originally planned, as detailed in my initial post, but still cool.)

5. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    ROCK that thing!

It also helps that green is my favorite color.

6. 350125g0

350125g0

Mar 4, 2020
    The cream pickup covers are absolutely perfect for that particular colour configuration. That pickguard looks INSANE. I love it. I want to make the same thing, but with either a black or a Capri orange bass.

Spectrum, RocknRay and TimBosby like this.
  7. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Yeah! Me too. Mostly anyway.

8. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Do it! Capri orange would be especially unique/cool.

9. That looks stellar!

RocknRay and TimBosby like this.
  10. Bassdirty

Bassdirty Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Looks nice. I think only on a white or black bass though.
    Great look though!

I think white or cream knobs would work.. or chrome to match the bridge..

T$

TimBosby likes this.
  11. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I always thought could never have a white or cream colored bass but you have just changed my mind. That's gorgeous!

bolophonic and TimBosby like this.
  12. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    That, imo, looks really good.
    The cream covers, cream dots, and the white accents in the knobs help make it work.

Nice.

Bajo Clarkko, bolophonic and TimBosby like this.
  13. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    @And I I had the same opinion and yet somehow I ended up with two! In addition to the green pickguard P, I also have a more pearlescent white Peavey G-Bass (graphite neck by Modulus, I believe) that was professionally defretted (Vagabond Guitars) and epoxy-coated (Drake Custom) - also has Hipshot Y keys that I had Drake install.

fretless gbass1.jpg

14. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I love the green guard, and it looks great overall. But I'd probably want the knobs and pickup covers to match, so either cream Strat-style knobs or black pickup covers. The Strat-style knobs might contribute to the old Soviet/Czech vibe you mentioned, which I totally dig.

I wonder how that guard would look on a greenburst bass. I suspect it would be incredibly cool.

ajschnitzelbank and TimBosby like this.
  15. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I'd be curious to see the greenburst idea too.

As for knobs, good points. I wonder if I could find something like this in nickel or close. Probably not since they are probably industrial steel knobs, haha.

soviet-vintage-bass-guitar-kavkaz_1_fabe0520fa00a601f7538fe793a5bc96.jpg

MYLOWFREQ likes this.
  16. briandavismurph

briandavismurph

Jul 1, 2013
    Chicago
    Everyone longs to be Irish. This bass screams Saint Patricks Day. Good look.

TimBosby likes this.
  17. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Haha! My wife's dad's side is pretty Irish so maybe she won't be mad when I bring this home, lol. And by St Paddy's maybe I'll be gigging again and can play it live!

18. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    I could see myself playing that on St. Patty's day.

TimBosby likes this.
  19. GFreeman1008

GFreeman1008

Jun 13, 2020
    Maryland
    They’re for me too:

upload_2020-6-22_19-44-6.jpeg

7BDADA02-B476-4E70-9C12-E81F17FE8A08.jpeg

It was hard to find a pre-made one that worked with this old Squire; so, I had to make it custom. It was a fun quarantine project.

20. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Looks fantastic.