1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In Praise of Guitar Center

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bthrem, Dec 23, 2016.

1. bthrem

bthrem

Dec 4, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH
    GC often takes a beating on these boards, so I’m telling my story today of how they did right by me.

I check the Used section every day gc.com. In the early AM of Dec 15 I see a Markbass BLX210 priced at $159.99 with a pic of a MB Traveler 102p in the listing. Thinking this can’t be right, I waited until the store opened and called to confirm exactly what the listing was for. They salesman says “You’ll get whatever is shown in the picture.” As soon I hang up I buy the cab. Several days go by and I get no updates on when it will ship, a tracking number, etc. I finally get contacted by the store and the guy on the other end is clearly stammering and stuttering… “umm sir, the cab is actually a GK BLX210, do you still want it?” I tell him of course I don’t. I tell him I have a screen grab of the ad that clearly shows a MB 102p in it and that his fellow salesman assured me I get what was in the pic. He’s sweating bullets now and I feel bad for him (sounds young, I’m 50). I tell I’m not going to be a jerk about it and to try to get it right next time - big sigh of relief then goodbye.

I decide to write an email to gc.com sternly, but professionally, expressing my disappointment with my customer experience.

The next day I get a call from the manager of the store. He’s contacted another store with a used 102p and he wants to send it to me for $159.99. Of course I take him up on his offer.

The cab showed up today – it’s damn near flawless. Looks and sounds great under my GB SL 900. I wrote back to gc.com expressing my sincere gratitude for taking such good of me.

So there we have it, a great GC customer service story!

2. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I'm impressed, but not at all surprised. Call it luck, but I have never had anything to complain about when it comes to GC and if I praised them every time I scored a deal, I'd be on a lot more ignore lists than I'm on right now.

Tbone76 likes this.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Not surprised either. I've had either extraordinary luck with GC or they may not be as bad as many folks say. Sure, both could be true but I doubt it.

4. bthrem

bthrem

Dec 4, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH
    I will add I've had largely positive experiences at GC. The vast majority of issues I've had have all be resolved to my satisfaction, this is just the latest example.

I believe in karma. I expressed my disappointment to the young guy when he told me it wasn't a MB cab after all, but I didn't get dickey about it and was polite the whole time. It was my email to corporate that got the store to act. No threats, no cursing, just sincere disappointment.

47th Street and Tbone76 like this.
  5. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    I was in the local GC today for the first time in a long while. The store looked far better than it used to in terms of overall organization & "presentation". They've added a separate room for acoustic guitars. Nice. At least they're trying.

6. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    All my experiences have been positive so far as well. No complaints.

7. I've had mostly good experiences, but when I haven't it's cost me time & money (gasoline) to return the clearly faulty items they've shipped me.

8. I wish I had gotten the same help the last time GC bait-and-switched me in the used gear page. And yes, I followed up with management in similar fashion and I was not an asshat about it. No such accommodating response, so I chalked it up to GC Used being a gamble.

In all other respects GC has been awesome to work with for the past 15 years or so.