1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

In Praise of Jennifer Young...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mike Sorr, May 1, 2016.

1. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr “...play I some music...” Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    I just picked up a Music Man Sterling 4HH. I haven't owned a Music Man bass in a while and I was surfing YouTube to see who still uses them and to remind myself of how they sound in a band context. That's when I came across the Travis Larson Band. I had not heard of them before a few days ago and HOLY COW they're impressive! I spent several hours familiarizing myself with their music and I have to say that Jennifer Young, their bass player is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I was surprised to see that they have six albums out. How did I manage to miss them for so long? I think she deserves some attention. If you haven't heard of this band, you're in for a treat. Here are a few samples:

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  2. she sounds great.

3. Mike Sorr

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    Here's another great tune with a great bass part. She definitely deserves some recognition from the TB community.

IamGroot and jerry like this.
  4. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Whoa!! Awesome. Thanks for turning me on to these cats. Great sound. And she rocks it!

Mike Sorr likes this.
  5. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    I, too, discovered Jennifer a short while ago - thanks to a TB thread. As sweet as her playing is on her collection of Sterlings, check her out with a Bongo HS! drool

dreamadream99 likes this.
  6. Mike Sorr

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    Bongo fury!

blastoff99, el jeffe bass and jerry like this.
  7. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

I saw them live last year opening for The Aristocrats. Killer performance especially by Jennifer. Just super tight. Talked with her briefly after the show.

Mike Sorr likes this.
  8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Because of this thread I final got around to picking up their live album a week or so ago, I really dig it.

Mike Sorr likes this.
  9. jonlimo

jonlimo

Jul 20, 2015
    Singapore
    Enjoy that sterling hh. I sure enjoy mine ;). In fact, jennifer young was one of the main reasons the sterling caught my attention!

Mike Sorr likes this.
  10. Mike Sorr

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    I picked up a blue dawn 4H as well, only mine has a birds eye maple neck. Awesome instruments.

11. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Ive been a fan of theirs for a while now. They are such a great band and she is an amazing player. Super sweet too! I saw them open up for The Aristocrats as well, spent about 20 minutes talking with her. Very down to earth!

12. almost human

almost human

Sep 30, 2010
    NYC
    She's fantastic. Thanks for the reminder, as she had slipped off my musical radar...

Mike Sorr likes this.
  13. Mike Sorr

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    I was curious to know what gauge strings she uses, and since I couldn't find that information in any of the interviews online, I emailed her. The band includes their email addresses on their website. She responded that she uses EB Super Slinkys .40 - .95 and wrote a nice email in reply.

In another time in the not so distant past this band would have been huge. I hope they get the credit they're due. I'd like to see them add a singer at some point.

IamGroot likes this.
  14. Mike Sorr

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    Jennifer Young from earlier this afternoon (10/29/2016) in New Jersey.

19247826_10209444036954152_979615890378503530_n. 19221567_10209444037474165_4283133242173739106_o. 19222588_10209444038434189_8697686159428337845_o.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  15. ERicks

ERicks

Feb 22, 2014
    A few years ago those guys did a clinic at the music store where I worked. They sounded great and were awesome people. Flash forward to last night, I saw them open for Beer For Dolphins, a band I've been into for a long time but honestly never thought I would see live. Between her and Bryan Beller in a small venue, I felt like I got a bass lesson last night. Everyone ripped hard!!!

16. Mike Sorr

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ

17. Xansky

Xansky Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    My wife, Michele, Jennifer Young, and me in Portland, OR after seeing The Travis Larson Band open for The Aristocrats. They were great and Jennifer was very nice.

WP_20150711_00_45_27_Pro.

IamGroot, jerry and 12BitSlab like this.
  18. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Oh my I am so happy to see a Jennifer Young thread. She's just fantastic. I see TLB any chance I get up in SLO. Always a great show and absolutely nothing but props to the band and Young herself. Such a tasteful player with tremendous feel and presence in her playing and one of the very very few musicians I practically idolize. Total sweetheart too.

Time to listen to some TLB now.

Mike Sorr and Xansky like this.
  19. joebeadg

joebeadg

Sep 1, 2010
    They r very good band and Jennifer Young is freakin amazing!

20. Christcr

Christcr Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    I just purchased their newest album (Anicca), which somehow slipped under my radar. I discovered them some years ago, and I have all their albums. I have to say this new one is my favorite so far--the song "Outside the In" really grabs me, can't stop listening to it--punchy, punchy tone from a syncopated Jennifer Young here and a great melody from Travis... and drumming from Dale Moon! Jennifer Young is an incredible bassist and I love what she gets out of that blue dawn Sterling especially. All three of them are incredible. They are coming through my area in less than a month. I'm looking forward to seeing them...