1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

In Praise of Jennifer Young...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mike Sorr, May 1, 2016.

1. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I like the band and I like her playing and I like her no frills focus and intensity.
    She does this thing where she walks across the stage and stands right next to the guitarist which projects she is an equal as a musician. I dig that.

ElGoodo and Mike Sorr like this.
  2. Christcr

Christcr Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    Well, I watched the Travis Larson Band perform last night and they were absolutely jaw-dropping incredible. VERY, very good. Honestly, I don't know that I've heard such killer musicians who were locked in so tight together in a rock setting with that kind of technical complexity.

I got to meet all if them. I talked with Travis for a few minutes and briefly with Jennifer and Dale. Talk about down to earth really friendly NICE people. So many musicians who have had a taste of stardom or popularity have an "attitude." None of these guys (and gal) did even a little bit. Like talking to a neighbor that you know well. Kudos to the band for putting out such great music and doing "their thing" rather than what the herd does.

Jennifer's tone was a thumping, punchy, incredibly tight, delight. She played her blue dawn Sterling for almost all of the songs. What a player! She had her Markbass rig (seems I saw a video of her recently with a GK stack, but not last night). Sounded great. Don't know what kind of strings she was using, but my tired old eyes seem to have caught the sheen against the lights of flatwounds. I don't really know how that could be with the sound she was getting. Didn't sound like flats AT ALL--not even close. But, it's possible, and if so, I suspect it could have been EB cobalt flats. Can't say for sure. I was going to ask her after the show, but I forgot when I talked to her briefly.

Another thing that was impressive is Travis's flawless use of sequenced tracks. That's sometimes tough in a live setting to have everything stay in sync--especially with that level of technicality in the music; there were more time signature changes in one song than I've heard in the last year. But it went off without a hitch.

The most incredible (they were all incredible) song for me was Snake Eyes. Good lord... talk about punching you right in the sternum like a case-hardened blue steel fist. Just flat out killer groove and thump from the bass and drums, and Travis's guitar work was almost insanity inducing it was so good. Jennifer's arpeggios alone was enough to make you... well, let's just say they were, ummm, extremely good.

They are quite busy this summer with shows across the nation. If you get a chance and you dig instrumental prog rock at all, SEE THEM. If you are not blown away, you are pretty jaded.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Joshua, IamGroot and MattZilla like this.
  3. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    The Travis Larson Band will be in Houston at Danelectro's on Friday, August 17th at 9PM.

I am looking forward to it.

I haven't been in Danelectro's in years (they used to have a jazz jam). Small venue.

4. I grew up with Travis and Jen and have played a lot with Dale. They have worked so incredibly hard over the last 20 years building their career, and I am so glad to see them getting some great recognition and success! I would be very surprised if she is using flats, as she does lots of slap and tap. Probably Ernie Ball rounds.

Mike Sorr likes this.
  5. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr “...play I some music...” Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    She told me she uses Ernie Ball Extra Slinkys.