Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In Praise of Ken Smith

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DonChalfy, Mar 6, 2002.

1. DonChalfy

DonChalfy

Mar 6, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I,ve read many negative postings regarding Ken's CS department and his personal treatment of customers over the phone. My experiences have been quite the contrary. I purchased a Smith BSR6P 6 string from the great folks at the LA Bass exchange. Because I have a flair for exotic woods and had a particular sound in mind, I called and spoke to Ken directly. I spoke to him two or three times actually. He was very direct and to the point yet patient enough to listen to my "ramblings." He was dead on with the woods he suggested for my bass and the result is a fantastic sounding bass with a Cocobolo top and back, mahogany core, ebony fretboard and series/parallel switches. Prior to that, I bought a set of Smith strings from my local music store. I strung up my bass only to have the D string pop at the ball end of the string. I called Smith to ask for a replacement D string and what I received (no questions asked) was two complete sets of the strings I used and a Smth Tee shirt.
    We all agree that as customers, we should be valued and have our needs met in a courteous, professional manner. Ken takes tremendous pride in his products and is truly an innovator in the field. He is very focused and extremely busy most of the time and his basses speak for themselves. In conclusion, if he seems a bit gruff to deal with from time to time, he is running a business that places a lot of demands on his time. He has a great heart and wants to see to it that his basses and strings are as close to perfection as he can so we can enjoy more hours of music making and less time in the repair shop. If your name was plastered all over your product, wouldn't you feel the same way? Continue to march!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I usually take all reports I hear or read with a grain of salt.
    Nice guys can have a bad day, and vice versa. And of course it's still a business so you can't be nice and all smiles all the time.
    That said, I really like Ken's work, all the basses I checked out here in Germany were amazing. It's a pity that they're so expensive over here, with freight, customs fees, taxes, etc.

3. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I want to second Don's comments, my dealings with KS have been very positive experiences.

4. The best bet is to keep an open mind. There may or may not be validity to the comments made about these people's individual experiences. However, as the saying goes "innocent until proven guilty". Ken Smith basses have been in business a long time and it must be for good reason.