1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

In praise of professional setup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Usidore T Blue, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Usidore T Blue

Usidore T Blue

Jun 28, 2017
    Tried to set my bass up properly DIY, got the tools, watched the videos, and the result was horrible. Weird dead spots, tuning issues, etc. I am not unhandy, but I only have one instrument and experimenting with it further was going to get me in a bad place. Without a junker bass to practice on I was just eating into my practice time.

So I took it to a luthier and got it done. They shimmed the nut and lowered the action successfully and the difference is incredible. So great to play now. A bit gruff? They were. Giant margin for maybe 20 minutes work or less and charging a lot for the strings? I suppose so. Worth it? Heck yes!

I know the vibe is DIY here, but there is something to be said for division of labor and expertise. The minor adjustments this bass will need for the rest of its time with me I can do--I have the tools. This initial job? Left it to the experts and did not regret it.

2. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    No most all of us have needed help from a pro sometime or other. You tried and didn't want to ruin your bass, good move to take it somewhere for help.

Geri O likes this.
  3. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I do most of my adjustments, but once a year, I take to a great local guitar guy as a check-up move. Looks for unlevel frets and fretwear and other things. I don't mess with frets. At all.

4. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    Agreed above my skill level.

5. Farseer

Farseer Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2014
    Parker, Colorado
    I take mine to my local luthier twice a year for string change and set up.

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Giant margin for time input? You aren't paying them for work done, you're paying them to have the doors open when you come in to have work done. ;)

7. Axstar

Axstar SUSPENDED

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    I learned to do it myself because I was fleeced by the local "luthier" too many times. Different strokes...

8. Usidore T Blue

Usidore T Blue

Jun 28, 2017
    You are absolutely right! I would not want to be in the business of making guitars these days!

9. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Amen - support your local repairpersons (some of whom hang out here)!