Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In praise of Squier basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sedan_dad, Feb 5, 2006.

1. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Mudsock,Ohio
    Howdy,I just joined the fourm and running accross by mistake.
    I was reading about the question reguarding the "Skunk stripe" on the rear of Fender necks.
    I beleve it's used to put the truss rod in Maple finger board neck as the rosewood necks don't have them or at least mine dosen't.
    On the Squier basses,I bought one on e-bay for a hundred bucks to keep mye kids from trying to play my bass.
    I was very impressed with the Squier.
    No,
    I was shocked as how nice it was.
    Why would any one spend $1000 and up for a different decal on the head stock?
    I just ordered some Schallers and EMG's.
    I'll throw some Roto-sounds on it and go.
    I've been playing for 30 years and have played alot of basses.
    Just my opinion,but you know what they say about opinions.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Welcome aboard!!!

There are some amazing bargain instruments available these days!

Budget instruments are probably less consistant than much more expensive ones...if you happen upon one that has better than average wood in the neck and body, it can blow you away. I'm sure that the opposite can be true too...that's why it's so important to try before you buy...or at least have the ability to return it if it doesn't work out.

I have a Squier Precision Special 5. It just happened to be on sale for $179 the day I walked into Sam Ash. I liked the green color, picked it up and was amazed at how well it played. The black one hanging on the wall next to it (priced at $225) was awful as were most of the ones that Guitar Center had... I've since turned it into a fretless and everyone that plays it can't believe that I spent less than $200 for it

I recently saw a PBS special on R&B of the '70s (or something like that) and the bassist in the house band was playing a Squier P Spec. 5...so it's certainly good enough to gig with professionally.

3. pj-mike

pj-mike

Nov 22, 2005
    Bridgewater, MA
    I agree with BillyB

I tried several Squires and MIM P-basses and found the Squires to vary quite a lot. If you look at enough of them, your likely to find a gem.

On the down side, the electronics on my Squire didn't hold up very long, the pick-up lacks in the lows and highs, its neck was heavy and the setup was not very good. If you don't mind tinkering with it, you can end up with a very good bass.
    Otherwise, the MIM will be a better option.
    I think the MIA Ps are the best of the bunch if you have that kind of budget.
    Resale values may come into play if you plan to sell them later.

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I love Squiers! Mine is the best i've ever played.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Mark

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    That's a good-lookin P, Mark.

6. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    one problem with good bargain basses is long term neck stability.

my ibanez's neck just isn't at all stable, despite its good looks and sound. so it kinda kills it.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Bummer... My first bass was a brand new 1974 P...natural (ash) with a maple fingerboard. That neck had problems from Day 1, but I was 15 and didn't realize it. It would go through cycles of a short period of playing well to being a real drag. No one could ever sort it out for me, so I understand what you're saying.

On the other hand, my Squier is three + years old and my MIM P is going on 11...they're both fine and have never required adjustment after my initial setup.

To me, resale value isn't a big issue when you start with an instrument that costs a couple hundred dollars...but we all have our levels of tolerance.

8. squiers are a hit or miss thing, atleast to me. my friend has a squier affinity p bass and his input jack fell off, so the cable wouldnt go in, then it fell off again and its just a little tiny hole in the pickguard, can't even plug it in. his is a piece of crap, and i guess mines decent, but i wouldnt say i got a hit on this one, more of an average for a squier.

9. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    A friend of mine has a joke about Squiers--"Yeah, sometimes Fender screws up and lets a good Squier slip past QC, you just have to hunt to find it."
    Even considering how much better is available, cheap basses now, Squier or otherwise, are much higher quality than the cheap basses of just a few years ago. The availability of good hardware and electronics over the internet makes them a worthwhile investment for the DIYer, IMO.

10. Alan U

Alan U

Jul 12, 2005
    North East London
    Hi chaps; I have a Squier P-bass special.
    After getting it home and filing down the nut, fitting Rotosound flatwounds, adjusting the truss rod and sorting out the intonation I am delighted.
    I think it plays like a dream and hold it's tuning very well.
    Mine was excellent value, can't speak about others, it was the first one I picked up.
    By the way I came across www.richwoodguitars.com and they seem to have some good looking basses there. The RB-58 caught my eye. Anyone here tried their instruments?
    Thanks

11. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Ironically, that's the one photo that didn't come up when I visited the link...

Spruce top, mahogany body and set mahogany neck all caught my attention...what's a "Hunter" look like?

12. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    [​IMG]
    I like it.

13. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Thanks!

Man, that's like Hofner meets Epi Allen Woody RumbleKat...

14. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    My nephew got a Squier violin bass for Christmas. Amazingly nice fit+finish+playability+tone! Exceptional value as his dad found it (lightly!) used online.

Ken

15. TAKEUPARMS

TAKEUPARMS

Nov 9, 2005
    does anyone know how to get a richwood in the u.s.?

16. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I was wondering that myself...
    Squier made a violin bass?

17. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Since the Richwood web site doesn't show any dealers in North America, you'd probably have to contact the dealers shown and see if they'd ship one to the States...

Never done it, don't know what kind of Customs issues there would be, etc.

18. Alan U

Alan U

Jul 12, 2005
    North East London
    Thanks Pennydreadful; that's the one. Beautiful eh?

They seem to be a well-kept secret, as there are no dealers in Britain either. So how do they ever sell any?
    There is Dangleberry on Ebay UK, but I'd really like to hold and play one before parting with £300.

Also I'm a bit concerned about it's sound, as I've only ever played solid basses. Would it possibly have feedback problems?

More food for thought, then........

Cheers

Attached Files:

19. Alan U

Alan U

Jul 12, 2005
    North East London
    Hmm, now I seem to have sussed out how to post pictures.....

Attached Files:

20. I had a Squire P-Bass Standard series. It had a great finish on it and seemed like a really nice bass (out of interest, mine had the skunk stripe on the neck and a rosewood fretboard). I didn't notice so much in the store, but when I got it home it had quite a nasty earthing problem. The setup was terrible too. Definately needed some work....unless at the 12th fret your into inch high action (slight exaggeration).
    So far these are all easy fixed probs, so I was still very happy.
    The next problem was out of my hands however. Over time, the neck just seemed to lose its strength. The action and tuning would get worse and worse untill it became pretty obvious that the neck was bowed. I would fix it and it would slowly get worse again....untill i couldn't adjust the truss any further. Needless to say, I passed it on to a younger relation who i hope will now become a fellow bassist. :bassist:

In short...As nice as these entry level basses can be, IMHO they are not an instrument for life like your more expensive models. And if you think about it, by the time you have gone through a couple of squires, you could have bought the fender. When they say "This is a great bass for beginners" etc, i think that translates into "this bass is kinda crap'. :D