1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In Praise Of the Ibanez SR1405E

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Would'e?, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Would'e?

Would'e?

Mar 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Two weeks into my ownership, my Ibanez SR1405E has become my once and future number one bass. This is significant. I have always preferred four-string basses for their playability and have been a long-time loyalist to my favorite Peavey USA Millenniums. I own both four and five string versions of the Peavey and they are fantastic instruments, but I have always loved the looks and easy playability of the SR series as well being a satisfied owner of Ibanez RG and S series guitars.

This summer I splurged on a 2017 Ibanez SR1400E (mojito lime green) as a 50th birthday present to myself. My hopes and expectations were more than met by the quality of that instrument and its incredible playability and sound. The most significant difference between it and my Millenniums is the Nordstrand Big Singles which are much more powerful and responsive pickups than the VFLs.

I am playing primarily heavy rock and gain stacking a Tech 21 DP-3X and a Tech 21 SansAmp Programmable into a Peavey BAM modeling an Ampeg 8x10. I could not to be happier with the grinding yet articulate tone I am getting and the absolutely most effortless playing experience in my 42 years as a musician.

When I recently saw a new 2017 SR1405E (glacial white) available through Reverb, I succumbed to the temptation to get the five-string companion to my new favorite. I hoped it might supplant my Milllennium Plus 5 as the 1400E has supplanted my Millennium 4. What I did not expect was for it to become my favorite instrument ever. If anything, the five-string is even more playable (less moving up and down the neck of course), but it also has an even tougher tone. The B-string is actually articulate versus the rather thuddy B on the Millennium, despite the longer scale. Again, the Nordstrands are probably the reason.

In short, I can't say enough good about these SRs. They not only surpassed the performance of my long-time favorite top quality USA basses, but the 1405E made this four-string player a five-string convert.

lowdownthump, LordHar and Solarmist like this.
  2. Yes, and there are a lot of happy SR Premium owners here.

Indiedog likes this.
  3. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    This thread needs pics.

Bassist Jay likes this.
  4. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Yes. I am one.

I too agree...me need photographs.

5. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Pics . Well I don't have the one I used to but I still have a picture . Out in the snow .
    I know what the OP is talking about with these basses .

S7300426.JPG

6. Would'e?

Would'e?

Mar 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Here is the 4.

6F7AC83A-D2ED-4484-BA1B-FE6D982FB4CC.

lowdownthump and Indiedog like this.
  7. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Man oh man, that is a beautiful bass. I have never seen a green finish on an Ibby.
    Congrats.
    Ibanez puts out some fine SR’s.

I have always wanted a 1806.

8. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    I love Ibanez Soundgear basses. The only Premium model that I owned was a 2007 Ibanez 20th 5 20th Anniversary Soundgear bass that I bought off of someone on here. It was #317/350, if I remember correctly.

I still kick myself for getting rid of that bass and trading it straight across on a brand new EBMM Stingray 4 H. I literally look on the internet every day in hopes of finding another one, in either 4 or 5 string. I absolutely loved that bass!

Here is a pic of her.
    51975515-AD65-413B-9453-4329F94E4305.

Indiedog and lowdownthump like this.