1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In praise of the Search Function... and BongoMania's Reviews

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RockStarNick, Mar 10, 2008.

1. RockStarNick

RockStarNick

Dec 18, 2007
    So I was looking for a new compressor, on a $100 budget. Searched, found Bongomania's awesome, extensive compressor research and thread. Decided to go with the the BBE Opto Stomp, and I couldnt be happier.

Thank You Talkbass, and Bongo, for saving me time and money. Now I got the tone I'm looking for.

:D

2. I was thinking about starting a new thread for this pedal earlier, but since you did it for me I'm hijacking:bag:

The BBE is supposed to be like an optical compressor but I was wondering, does the circuit actually use a photocoupler?

3. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I'd take a guess at yes, as I don't think it would be optical if it didn't have one. I have no idea though, so sorry if I'm wrong.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    WHOA! Someone used the Search Function! And the reviews some of us wrote for pedals! :eek:

Hell must have frozen over... but I don't mind. :D

5. thats what she said

----------------
    Now playing: BLACK CROWES - THORN IN MY PRIDE
    via FoxyTunes

6. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You're welcome. :) Glad to be of help! And yes, thank you for searching!!! :p

7. I find that TB has eaten both my time and my money

8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Same here - I didn't own a single pedal at the beginning of this year and now I have several and have spent hundreds of pounds that I didn't have to spare! Mods - please ban me.

9. RockStarNick

RockStarNick

Dec 18, 2007
    Haha. Talkbass has saved me money...

TheGearPage... that's a whole different story. I think I ripped thru about 30-40 pedals this year, buying, selling, etc.

10. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I bought a Jacques Fat Burner mostly on the basis of BongoMania's review, and am thoroughly pleased with it.:cool:

11. While we are on the subject, have you (BongoMania) been sent another DHA VT1 Compressor yet?

12. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Not yet. He was going to send me a VT1-Standard along with it, and at last report he was still waiting for the VT-1 to be built for me. I should email him again, it's been a while.

13. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I'd say that about a month after I joined, I spent little time reading new threads, almost never posted and spent the majority of my time on TB using the search function and reading up on a number of topics, most of them effects. In fact, outside of Effects and Off-Topic (and occasionally The Lobby) I still spend most of my time reading old threads. It's amazing how much info this site has to offer.

As for bongomania, I'd say that he's probably my favorite compressor obsessed, electronics knowledgeable, purple suit wearing, bongo playing, Portuguese Water Dog owning, Oregonian. At worst he's in the top two.

14. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    You forgot to mention ex-Californian... :scowl:

:D

15. Search + bongo's compressor site is how I ended up with the guyatone st2, which I like very much indeed.

16. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Say, on a side note, if anyone here is looking for a higher-budget comp, there's an ADK CLA-1 in the classifieds over on Gearslutz. The guy's relisted it a couple of times, so he may be open to haggling on the price.

17. DHA

DHA Dave Hall Amps

Oct 20, 2005
    Yes, sorry about the delay but its' been very busy for about 3 months now. But, the Std will be complete today and I will test it this week. so I will post it and the Comp this week.

Dave