Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In pursuit of a fab bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LimpyBizkit397, Apr 29, 2002.

1. I was just wondering what would be a good bass to get when you want to seriously play bass profesinally. I'm think I may want to become a musician because it's really the only thing that keeps me alive. I have a StingRay 5 and that should last through high school. But what would be a good bass to get when I go into college? Should I get custom or mass produced? I really dont know so any comments would be VERY helpful especiall from the pro bass players here. Thanks a ton.
    Laura

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    oh wow yea a stingray would be perfect. Im taking my stringray 4 and my spector with me to school, and im studying bass sooo i think your set. A nice amp would be cool if u have the cash. Ive talked to alot of bassists taht have nice basses and are playing through a 30 watt crate amp. When i decided i was going to play semi-professionally in high school i had to make sure i had an amp that would keep up. I'd say your best bet is a good quality 250-500 watt head and a 4x10 or 2x12 or sumthing of that nature.

3. I'll have to agree with everyone else. The Stingray is definately a pro instrument. As long as it's the sound you want, stick with it. If it's really not, then you may want to look at something else. Otherwise, i'll agree with hyperlitem that you should get a new amp if you don't already have a good one.

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Not to echo everyone else, but you've got yourself a damn good "professional" bass. If you like the sound, no need to "upgrade".

Hell, there are many of us who are waayyy past college who crave one of those things!

My advice: Take the $1500.00+ you'd spend for something you don't need (i.e., a supposedly "upgraded" bass) and dump it into the following:

- amp
    - cab(s)
    - bass mon
    - anything else which would make you that much more appealing to potential bandmates (they'll be impressed enough with your 'Ray, but upgrading your equipment would go a long way towards making you a true performing professional, equipment-wise)

Or hell - give it to me and I'll get that Eden head I've been wanting! ;)

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Obviously, it depends on how "fab" your wallet is.

With the way the bass market keeps growing, there will be some "latest, greatest, super duper, gotta have" basses on the market that don't even exist at the moment by the time you get out of high school.

Music will have changed, too.