1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In Pursuit/Restoring a Gibson G3 bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BryanS, Sep 23, 2018.

1. BryanS

BryanS

Sep 3, 2018
    Portland Oregon
    When my son was born (few decades ago) I sold my beloved 1976 G3 bass to buy baby food. He's all grown up now, so I found and bought a "very broken in" 1976 G3 bass. I'm thrilled, but have a long road ahead to restore. Biggest challenge, somebody replaced the bridge with a crummy screw-on, and it is misaligned. So I'm requesting anybody who has original parts to hit me up. I'll buy parts. Or if you have a G3 to sell, please let me know. My actual dream would be factory fretless. Not interested in the "tribute" reissue.

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

It’s just a simple bent steel string through bridge screwed onto the body. It’s very similar to a Fender bridge. Tge G3 abd Grabber don’t use the 3-point bridge most Gibson basses have. Are you sure you don’t have the original bridge? The giveaway is the intonation screw on the G string is slightly longer than the other three.

If you can’t find a replacement it should be possible to make one. Cannibilize saddles from a similar bridge and go from there.

flyguitars.com can give you more info on it.

Gibson bass guitar bridges, bridge covers and mutes

3. BryanS

BryanS

Sep 3, 2018
    Portland Oregon
    Thanks for the good advice. Pretty sure it's not original. It is re-screwed such that it covers up the holes where you'd run the strings through the body. I'll look for the options you mentioned.

4. BryanS

BryanS

Sep 3, 2018
    Portland Oregon
    Sometimes wonderful things just happen. After years of nothing, a 1979 G3 shows up on my Portland OR Craig's list. It's pretty beaten up, and somebody put the crummy, misaligned bridge on it (mentioned above). But I'm in love with it, so I buy it, knowing I have my work cut out for me to restore it. Being on the lookout for G3 parts (like this posting) I make my usual rounds to all the outlets. So once again I take a look at my local Craig's list. I see a posting for another 1976 G3. But this one is nearly mint! It's like a transported back to 1976 and bought one off the showroom floor in Kalamazoo. The chrome is a bit aged, but the paint, the neck, the electric, the knobs and switches, the headstock, are all just mint, like the bass has never been played. And it still has all the original paper work from the purchase and the warranty. And the cost was $100 more than the first one I bought. Somebody up there likes me!

5. Misfit toys

Misfit toys

Feb 8, 2018
    Nice! Got 2 now? As far as the bridge goes I always thought the one on my Grabber was pretty mediocre. You could probably put any bridge on and do just fine

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020