in reality

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Jul 14, 2005.

1. When playing in a rock or blues Jam or when you are onstage playing with a band, can any one really hear the difference between a p pup or a single coil in the neck position? Hell can you hear the difference between any pup in this situation? :eyebrow:
  2. Things like attack, and growl can easily be heard and distinguished.

From that point on, it is more about how the bass sounds in the mix, and that has as much to do with pickups as the bass itself, the amplification, the effects...etc...infinitum...:)
  3. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    I can't tell if your question is rhetorical. If it is a genuine question, there is no doubt you can hear what I'm using onstage. Especially at a blues jam with only one guitar player (and drummer), the nature of my tone is evident. How do I know? I can hear it onstage, and when I loan my bass to others, I can tell how my PJ is set on the blend knob.

Whether anyone in the audience knows or cares, I would guess they don't. However, I see my job to play as well as I can with the best tone I can, to make the audience enjoy the song. They couldn't articulate whether I'm just playing roots or a nice walking line either, but non-musicians have a gut sense of what they're hearing, and they know whether the song sounds cool or not. I'm doing everything I can to control all the details I can to give the listener a good musical experience, whether they know why they like it or not.
  4. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Very cool explanation...