in regards to the "Bongo thread" I deleted

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sheepdog, Apr 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    was all that really necessary?

I thought this place was better than that.
  2. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I don't know the answer to the question, and I don't know what to say about what you thought - but thanks for deleting it.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That thread was getting pretty craptastical, wasn't it?
  4. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Awwwww, and I missed it!!! :crying:
  5. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I guess luckily, I have no idea which thread you guys are talking about. Was it comparable to a Nick thread?

6. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think it went something like this:

1. x posts an opinion of a in thread c
    2. y doesn't think x should post that opinion of a
    3. x and y argue about whether the opinion of a can be posted, z joins.
    4. thread c gets deleted
  7. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    This is starting to feel like math class now.
  8. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte, that just gave me a real nasty flash back...
  9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm as good of an example of "person y" as the next guy, so let me explain why we're all pretty bored with the "I think the Bongo is ugly" argument.

The simple truth of it is that we don't care that you thik the Bongo is ugly. Really. As important as you think your opinion is on the subject, you're wrong.

Let me present two different scenarios.

Scenario A:

Bob: Hey, I got this new jacket. It keeps me very warm, and is very comfortable.

Steve: Bob--I see you got a new jacket. I've heard that those are very warm, and also found to be very comfortable. Unfortunately, I don't like the way it fits in the shoulders, so it is not the jacket for me.

Bob: Yes, that can be a problem. Luckily for me, this jacket fills all of my jacket needs.

Dick: I don't care how warm and comfortable that jacket is. I think it's ugly, and I'd never wear it!

Would you like to explain what substantive purpose Dick's comment serves?

Scenario B:

Bob: Hey, guys, meet my new girlfried, Sally.

Steve: Hi, Sally.

Dick: I'm sure Sally is nice and smart, but someone sure beat her into next week with the ugly stick, am I right?

Steve: You sure are batting 1.000 today, aren't you......Dick?

Again, if you aren't bringing anything to the conversation, why join it? Why would you want to be like Dick?

Don't get me wrong--You are more than entitled to your opinion. Everyone has one and we certainly don't expect you to pretend to like the Bongos if you don't. But, again, if your only point to make is that it's ugly, well--we don't care. It serves no other purpose than to derail the thread. It's like going to a party and crapping in the corner simply because you can. If a thread is about the different tones on a Bongo, we con't care if you think it's ugly. Really.

Stated another way--If a thread is about the difference in neck radius of a 70's vs a 60's Jazz Bass with pictures to represent each, would you post a comment of nothing more than "I don't like Red Jazz Basses." No, because you'd look like a moron.

Oh, and by the way--After a year and a half, we get it. You think the Bongo looks like a toilet seat. That's extremely creative. Thanks for the jocularity. Much appreciated.

Just curious, but do you actually have a point to make, or do you just like the clicky sound when you type the funny?

I am a fairly reasonable fellow, though, so I present a compromise.

I'm more than happy to start a thread entitled "LET IT BE KNOWN--WE THE POSTERS HEREIN FIND THE BONGO TO RESEMBLE A TOILET SEAT." We can sticky it to the top of the forum. That way, whenever someone starts a Bongo thread about something OTHER than the appearance, and you get that urge, you can go to the Bongo Toilet Seat Thread (BTST) and post your funny picture of a toilet seat. Or, you know a picture of a real set of Bongos.

Ricky Ricardo is always a real hoot, too.

On second tought, at least be creative, ya know? Why look like a slackjawed moron by being the 174th "It looks like a toilet seat?" I still don't think anyone's topped my guitar player's dad who said it reminded him of the stomach drawing in the Pepto Bismol commercials.

It would be most appreciated so that we can move on and talk about something besides the Bongo's inherent Toiletseatlookalikedness.
  10. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Fixed that bit for you.

The way I read it, Dick wanted to express his opinion, the opinion that he's entitled to hold and express, that the jacket was ugly.

Hmm..that seemed pretty easy, I wonder if it was a trick question?

Funny, I often think the same thing when people post "cool bass" or "+1" or "nice bass". Its funny though, you never seem to find people* arguing about how pointless it is to post comments like that - yet they also bring nothing to the conversation. Hmmm. I assume the campaign launch for that one will be starting soon?

*Okay - Bruce Lindfield does.

I think you nailed it in one when you said "everyone is entitled to an opinion". Why not just leave it at that - if you don't like someone's opinion just ignore it and move on. If the opinion is in breach of the forum rules - report it. Thats what I try to do....most of the time ;)

11. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
  12. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    i like bongos , the threads accompanying them get noobified , which is the internet in a nutshell .

the desert sand/wind bongo on is particularly nice.

when i look at a bongo , it looks back at me like that creature on space 1999 that morphed into other creatures and then morphs and freaks me out.
  13. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Ah, bassmonkee makes my heart beat faster.

This is, in effect, much like flogging the extended range basses. You don't think a bass should have 9 strings? Me either! And yet, John Turner and others play them and love them and make them work for a living.

Or the fancy top basses! My God, aren't those UGLY? Well, YEAH, of course they are! Except lots of people here seem to buy them, and, I'm sure, make them work for a living.

Or those Warwicks! Holy Effin Shiite, are those UGLY or what? Well, YEAH, sure they are, ugly as sin! Except many people like them, I guess, and make them work for a living.

Go figure.

The lesson here is that Rickenbackers are ugly except to those who love them. Peaveys are cheap POS basses unless you happen to own one and know better. blah blah blah.

I mean, stop calling my basses ugly, okay? I challenge you to find one thread where my only comment was, "I think your bass is ugly".

Can't do it. Didn't happen. Never will.

But bassmonkee was much more eloquent and possibly more sober than I am now, after a four hour rehearsal with a toilet seat which will BITE THE FREAKING FACE off your POS whatever bass.

This would be easier if (a) we were all southern or (b) you had to say all your "ugly" comments in person to the owner of the bass.

Right? Am I right?
  14. Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
  15. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Dicks opinion stills being a valid opinion. However dick should express (sp?) his opinon politely.

BTW: when you find those king of problematic threads instead of bashing ppl just leave the thread, 2 guys wont fight if 1 doesnt want to.
  16. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think you quoted the wrong person, but I agree. An impolitely expressed opinion could easily breach the forum rules - thats what the "report the post" button is for.

SOrry for not adding something to the conversation.
  17. Speaking of which im gassing for an ugly, fancy top, extended range, POS custom made by warwick with a toilet seat vibe. :hyper:
  18. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I guess that makes me Dick. I don't know what happened after the first page, but as I recall I stated that I loved the Bongo's tone, it's versatility, and construction, but I didn't like the way it looked. I also said that my basses reflect my personality and playing styles and IMO it was too ugly for me. I realize this isn't the nicest term, or the most original, but how often do you hear people call things beautifully-impaired.

BTW, this thread is pretty off-topic of "basses" and is going into another debate. I never wanted to start a fight and I'm not here to pick one.

19. My bathroom(& toilet seat)is seafoam green, & I want one bass in that color. :D I also play a mean pair of bongos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.