Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In search of 50-75' cable

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by VictorLeMonteWooten, Dec 8, 2000.

1. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    i'm looking for a very long cable (50-75')I once saw a 75 footer on ebay, but it ended with buy it now.

Please help.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Is this a speaker cable or an instrument cable? Speaker cables that long are pretty easy to come by, but I wouldn't get anything smaller than 12 gauge wire. Try GC or one of the mail order houses. If it's an instrument cable, chances are great that it will essentially kill your sound, unless you pay over $1,000 for it. I'd suggest you get a good wireless if you are thinking about wandering 50 to 75 feet away from your amp.

3. If you need this for an instrument cable, Where are you playing?

If you need to go that far with your instument from the amp, you're probably better off going wireless.

Herm

4. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    I'm not a huge fan of wireless systems. I like to move around my house, watch TV in a room far away, talk to my neighbor a half block away. I'm looking for an instument cable.

5. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    Munjibunga, what do you mean by "Kill your sound"?

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    as in "your sound will suck with a cable that long". the capacitances of the cable will drain the higher frequencies off of your tone, making your bass sound like crap.

by the way, what kind of bass do you play? please fill out your profile so that when you ask a question people can more accurately tailor their responses to you.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, unless you buy an ultra-high-quality cable at that length (hence, my $1,000 remark), there'll be so much capacitance and signal loss, it'll sound pretty cruddy. There's a reason why you don't find input cables that long. Essentially, they don't work. Whether you're "a big fan" of wireless or not, it would be the preferable way to go for that much roaming ... far superior to cable.

8. If you want to roam the neighborhood with it why not try a headphone amp or a small battery powered setup?